Monday, 2 January 2017

Whirlwind December

Just a warning - this is a long post!! 

December for me was an absolute whirlwind.  Most of the time my life is busy, but December this year took the cake!

It started with a 2 week visit by our niece Alice and her friend Katie.  They are English and finished off their 3 month visit to Australia at our place.  Loved having them both here.  While they were here, we had a fun craft morning when I taught them how to make angels from Christmas ribbon.


Alice on the left & Katie
Here is our little tribe of angels.  The one second from the left was my sample.


I taught a couple of workshops in December.  The first one was for my church craft group, Buttons, and we made a folded Christmas Star.  I got the inspiration from a blog post by Avis who blogs here.
 
 
The ladies really enjoyed making that, and several brought in theirs to show me the finished product the following week.
 
Also at Buttons, we made little knitted Christmas Trees from a pattern put out by Spotlight.  Here is mine - it stands about 7" tall, and I have left it at Buttons for the church stall.

 
I made up 8 little zippered pouches as Christmas gifts.  (Forgot to take photos.... sorry)  Four were for my team of volunteers who help me at the Mitchell Library.  And one each for my grand daughter, Alice & Katie and the Kris Kringle at Friday Quilters.  These were some of the fabrics I used.
  
The front fabric is shown in front of the linings
All the fabrics were chosen specifically for the person to receive it.
 
Next workshop I did was for the ladies at my Friday Quilters group.  We generally do a craft item before lunch at our Christmas function.  I found this on the web in a tutorial by Betz here.  I offered the option of making it into a brooch or a Christmas decoration.  My sample is made into a brooch and has been worn several times since.


I also taught Alice and Katie how to make one each.  It took me a while to get the hang of how to fold this as its a bit tricky, but once I "got" it, it was easy peasy.

I also finished a little beaded ornament which my daughter gave me as a kit at least a year ago.  I thought I ought to get it made, and it was done in the nick of time to put on the tree.  There's a mistake in there, but by the time I found it, there was no way I was going to undo all that bead work!


We were fortunate to be invited to watch the start of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race as support for the maxi yacht CQS (which ended in 7th place).  It was so exciting to be there in the midst of the yachts on the harbour!  A really early start for us, but so worth it. 

At the marina before the race - CQS behind us

CQS getting into the mood just before the start
Since Christmas, I have laid low, spending a lot of time in my sewing room, pottering about and just sewing.  First up I used some ugly squares to make a little mat for the cat to sit on.  My daughter screwed up her nose and asked why I hadn't used pretty fabrics.  Well that wasn't the point!

 
I used a double thickness of thick synthetic wadding, which was awful to quilt, but what I wanted was a thick cushiony effect.  When I finished it, I took it up to Tibby to show her.  She sniffed at it delicately then, Flot!  She parked herself on it.  I can officially call it a success.

 
I then finished off this little top.  In one of the bags of donated scraps I found almost enough blocks to make this sweet little cot sized quilt.  So I set to and made the remainder. 

 
As soon as I finished this, I found enough for about 3/4 of another quilt.  Guess I have to make a few more blocks!
 
If you have got to the end of this post, thank you!  You deserve a medal for sticking it out.  LOL.
 
I would like to wish all of my readers a very Happy New Year.  May 2017 be a creative and pleasurable year for you.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Dasha lots of lovely projects,the girls did a lovely job of their decorations,you do such beautiful work,well done my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a whirlwind month you've had Dasha! Hopefully January slows up a lot, & gives you a chance to catch your breath! Have a wonderful year ahead x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You kept yourself out of trouble in December. So many lovely projects were made. (when I saw the picture, I knew the girl on the left was a relative of yours; you have the same smile.) Only you know about that mistake in the beaded ornament. I couldn't find it so don't speak of it and no one will be the wiser. It looks so small. Congrats on all those adorable finishes, even with fuglies, you did an excellent job. (BTW cats have no idea what's the difference between nice fabric and ugly fabric. To them, the question is "Is it comfy?" hehehe!) ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Dasha! It was fun seeing all the things you've been up to this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of fun projects. Can't wait to see what 2017 brings. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great projects! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a busy time and great to share some craft with the girls...........

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have had a very busy time and looks like you shared the joy of creating big time. Well done to you. How exciting to see the start of the race. Happy new year Dasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering where you were, just thinking of you yesterday! Sounds like you are having a busy summer. Tibby looks very happy! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to have your niece and her pal for company and fun to get them crafting too!
    Such a cute little tree that and that is a lovely cat quilt - thankfully cats just love squishy and aren't as picky as we are about designs - but actually I quite liked all the fabrics LOL
    I have often wondered over my cat rescue years if I was a cat in a former life : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Dasha. Lots of gorgeous things but I love your angels and folded tree decs. Lucky cat too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are SO fast, and so amazingly productive! If I lived on your side of the world, I'd come to you for those fun classes and lessons. I love all the little Christmas items you made with other ladies. Who can ever have too many ornaments? :)

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog