Sunday, 15 January 2017

Fuglies Part 3

Now I know you have all been dying to see what I did with that pile of Totally Evil 6.5" squares, haven't you??  I showed them off in my last post here, but just in case you missed it, here they are:

I can hear you from here - "Yuk", you say.  All except Lyn who blogs here.  I knew that as soon as I posted the photo someone would pipe up and say that the fabric is lovely.  Well, not to my eye!  LOL  Why not go take a peek at what she creates. Make sure you tell her I sent you.
My first foray into using these was a total unmitigated disaster.  I took a couple up to my local shop, and tried to get something which matched one of the colours in the mish mash of colour in the squares.  The idea was to sash them.

I did a couple of rows at Friday Quilters a couple of weeks before Christmas.  The girls gave me permission to abandon that project, which I did quick smart.

Over the Christmas break I took them out again to see what I could do with them.  I lit upon the idea of sashing each square individually in a solid which toned with the square.  I pulled all the bits of homespun fabric I had.  It came together really quickly.  Here it is ready to sew together.

Apologies for the photos.  For the last few weeks it has been unbearably hot with temps in the high 30s and even a few days in the 40s.  My sewing room faces west, so the blinds have been drawn pretty much all day for weeks to keep the heat out.

And it is complete....

You can see by the second photo that I changed the layout about a bit.

Each of the squares has a different mix of colours in it, and when piecing the blocks, I tried hard to pick one colour out for the sashing to highlight the square.  I made two of each colourway.  I managed to use a lot of pieces of homespun AND most of the pile of squares.  Win/win.  I think its actually OK now, and I don't really mind it.  I don't love it, but its doesn't offend me to look at it.  Ha ha.

I think these are my favourite blocks.

This was so quick to piece!  Starting with a 6.5" square is a little different to my usual 2" or 2.5" squares.  LOL.

So I am calling it done.  It will go to Stitching Hearts on Thursday for our first meeting of the year.  I am sure that someone will be pleased to receive it.

Til next time.....Keep on Stitching


  1. I don't know how you do this but you are really good with fuglies. Maybe I should send you mine, lol. I love the end result. They look like framed pictures of cities' pavement under the rain with the city lights shining in the puddles. Very nice. I like this one ... even like it a lot!! Congratulations! Great job! ;^)

  2. Another beauty from fuglies! I don't think I could've pulled it off, so my hat is off to you!!

  3. Love it - fuglies are fun to work with - well done!

  4. LOL
    I still love them and what you've done with them is a great idea, they look less overwhelming now! Delightful!

  5. Well I like it too! I liked the original blocks but I love the way you have sashed them and put them together - well done, a brilliant finish. xx

  6. Hi Dasha,i think it looks fantastic,you are very clever my friend xx

  7. GREAT way to tame that fabric!! And I must say, I linked here from another blog, but was happy to "see" you again. I've missed you since you dropped out of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!


I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog