Wednesday, 2 November 2016

Adopted Orphans

This all started some weeks ago because Evelyn, my friend from Stitching Hearts, shoved a bunch of 3.5" squares into my hands and said "Here.  Do something with these".  They were all in autumn colours, a colour palette I love.


So I got them home, and after thinking about it for just nano seconds, decided to do 4 patches.  After adding some 3.5" squares cut from scrap light value fabrics, I made up a pile of 4 patches.  Nice easy peasy sewing.

 
But then I got to the point where I started to wonder what the heck to do with them.  I remembered that literally years and years ago I had cut a whole lot of triangles for a quilt I had never made.  They would make up cute pinwheels to go with my 4 patches I thought.  So I scratched around in my stash cupboard (must tidy that up one day soon).
 
The first thing that I spotted was a fistful of maple leaf blocks.  No idea where I got those.  Most likely at Stitching Hearts as we get loads of UFOs and orphan blocks come in and I often take them home.  And then again, someone may have given them direct to me.
 

 
Perfect colours to go with my autumn 4 patches!  So I grabbed them, and kept looking for those elusive triangles.

No luck on those, but I found a little packet containing dozens of pieced flying geese.  Again, I have absolutely no idea where I got them or when as I have no memory of them at all.  They would do for some borders.  Perfect colours, perfect size.


I ended up doing a row by row quilt with sashing made from a fabric I have had in stash for years, and years.  I had gone to a sale of fabrics left in storage which had not been paid for, for months, so they were being sold off at a pittance by the storage warehouse.

To finish off my quilt, I raided my 2" squares stash to make 2 rows of 4 patches to go on each side of the quilt.

 
And here is a close up of it.


I've made binding for it from left over bits of binding and will be taking it to Stitching Hearts for pinning.  So pleased with my adopted orphans!   Its just a small lap quilt which will be donated to the group and used as required.  If you feel like taking a look at what our little group does, click on the link here or on the little Heart icon on the left of this blog post.  Some of the quilts that are made are totally inspiring.

There's actually enough of the flying geese to make some borders on another quilt.  Now that I have remembered I have them, I will find a use for them. 

And No.  I haven't found the triangles!  LOL  They really must be in a dim dark corner somewhere.  But I'm not that worried as I have used up lots of stuff which has been hanging around for years.

I also want to show you my gorgeous orchid.  Our sweet next door neighbours moved out to a retirement village about 4 years ago, and gave me some tubs of orchids.  We split them, gave some to my daughter, planted some in the garden, and these are in the little indoor courtyard of our house.  They have recently thrown a flower spike.

 
This is what I look at when I am sitting at the table in the family room.  Aren't they gorgeous?  Thank you Douglas.  Your orchids continue to give me joy each year.

 
The ones outside are also flowering, but I don't see them as often as they are in a corner of the garden somewhat tucked away.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching

9 comments:

  1. Hi Dasha ,wow you have done an amazing job with those scraps as the quilt looks fantastic and that orchid is gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt you made from your orphaned blocks Dasha.... well worth the hunt for the elusive triangles... finding all those other bits and bobs! I love orchids and that is a beauty! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scrappy quilt is wonderful, great use for all those little bits. I am envious of your orchid, I have had one for over 10 years at it has never rebloomed since the first blooms faded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I love your little lap quilt. So cute! Hard to believe it wasn't planned at all. They all play so well together. It seems like it did some cleaning in the leftover's cupboard in your sewing room too. The way I see it that's two birds with one stone. Kudos to you!
    Love your orchids, lucky girl. They were my wedding bouquet.
    Now go and find those triangles as I want to see what kind of magic you'll do with them. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of those orphaned squares. Your quilt is wonderful!
    I love the orchids, they've grown very well, so pretty!
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great quilt Dasha, and all from your stash. It looks really lovely. Beautiful orchids. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt to use those fabrics!! It's wonderful!! Beautiful orchid too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you've done with your orphan blocks and your orchid is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love what you did with the orphan blocks............gorgeous flowers.......

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog