Tuesday, 20 September 2016

New Toys for Quilting

In recent weeks I have bought a few new toys to play with for my DSM.  First up I bought some Westalee Rulers.

 
Do I know how to use them?  Nope!  I have been intrigued by the concept for a while and then saw a demo at the Sydney Quilt Show a while back.  I was sold.  Above is the Basic Set you get when you by the foot attachment for your machine.  What they didn't tell me is that my Bernina needs a special attachment for the foot attachment.  So it took a while for that to materialise.
 
At the same time as I bought the rulers, I bought a slippy mat which adheres to the bed of the sewing machine table and the slippery surface eliminates the drag when you are free-motion quilting.  The product is called "Sew Slip II".  It is totally removable and doesn't leave a sticky residue on your sewing surface. You store it rolled up so it doesn't take up much room.
 
I bought both the rulers and the mat at the same time as the rulers from Punch with Judy but they are available all over the place,
 
 
When my Bernina attachment finally arrived, I set everything up to have a play with my new rulers.
 
 
It all got a bit wonky at the end, but overall I was relatively pleased with the first attempt.  Here it is warts and all.

 
I need a LOT more practise.  LOL
 
I needed to quilt my "Green & Blue Should Never be Seen" quilt.  (You might remember I showed you that one under construction here).
 
 
 
So I put aside the rulers and took out the other new toy I have.  This is a weighted ring that you use to help keep the sewing area flat while quilting.  I bought that on my trip to the Newcastle show a month or so back.
 

When it was demoed the lady said I needed to hold my thumbs in like so, as I'm quilting.

 
I struggled with the hoop.  Basically I think the problem was that I was quilting a fairly large design.  It would probably work better if you were doing denser quilting.  Bottom line is that the jury is still out on that one.  I stopped using it after a while and just went back to my bad habits.
 
Anyways, this quilt was stitched in the ditch to anchor the blocks, and free motion quilted in a free hand orange peel design.  I use that design a lot and quite like the results.  These are some of the better orange peels. LOL

 
So.  All done and dusted, and it has gone to Stitching Hearts already.


An altogether happy little quilt which came together nicely.  And we found the best backing for it!  It will do to keep someone's knees from freezing.


Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting tools you got. Love the flower you have produced. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time at all. Enjoy the new tools. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dasha those rulers look interesting ,love your quilt and I think the orange peel design looks great xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you: you found the kit to quilt with rulers on the Bernina! I was looking for them online, but gave up; it all seemed so complicated! Can you use the extra foot attachment with the BSR as well as the darning foot? Your first flower is lovely; I'm sure you'll be an expert in no time. I like the way your blue and Green has worked out, complete with orange peels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, reposting my comment so everyone won't think I am a nut case. Well, maybe I am a little. Great start on using your new toys, I have some rulers I still haven't worked up the courage to try.

      Delete
  5. I bought that foot! Have used it a couple of times - hope to do more. Think you first attempt was great. Like your four leaf motif very much - you're a natural at this quilting. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  6. So thats the fancy ruler system Ive been hearing about, they do look like theyd be a useful set of tools to have! Am sure there will be no stopping you now and that ring gadget wont beat you I'm sure lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilting on your blue and green. I like the idea of the slippy surface - I shall have to look out for it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to get moving on some quilting..........bit scared of it but I suppose the more I do the better I will get..........

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're doing a great job on your quilt, Dasha. I've seen those rulers used. Maybe one day I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wondered how that hoop would do! Those rulers, though, look like must haves! Have fun playing and practicing! XO

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog