Friday, 3 June 2016

Scrap Dance Tango - All Caught Up

If you read my previous post about the Retreat, (here) you will have been patiently waiting for my post on what I actually did over the 4 days we were away.  (If you haven't read it, now is your chance!! LOL)
 
I worked on the Scrap Dance Tango mystery which is being run by Carole at From My Carolina Home.  So far there have been 5 steps of the mystery revealed, and I was seriously behind with this project.
 
I have blogged about this before, so forgive me if you've seen the photo.  This is the fabrics I pulled for the mystery.
 
 
For the light fabric, I am using a bunch of scraps and a piece from stash I have had for many years.
 
Step 1 was to cut all your fabrics and begin making 2.5" Half Square Triangle units (HSTs).  For my quilt size I needed to make 630 of HSTs.  I had made just over half of what I needed, so the entire first day, and well into the second I was sewing, pressing and trimming HSTs!  I was determined to get them done before moving on with the next steps.
 
 
I was ready to throw those in the drink by the time I finished, I can tell you!  Sooooo bored with that job!!!  And so glad to close the lid on it.  I'm not good at piecing (and trimming) a bunch of blocks all the same.
 
Step 2 was to make a bunch of these arrow units.  They are made in 3 steps; the first step is to sew a 2.5" square to one of the HSTs, the second step is to sew two 2 HSTs together, and lastly you sew the two units together.

 
I had made all the units of the first part of this step, so I needed to make up the units with the 2 HSTs together, then sew the two units to together to make up the arrow head block.   That got done fairly quickly.
 
Step 3 was to sew a cream square to an HST then pair two of these units up.  Easy.  I only needed to do 32 of these.
 
This is where I discovered chain pressing. 
 
 
I must be the last person on this planet who hasn't known about chain pressing.  When I used to chain piece I would cut all the connecting threads before I pressed, but at the Retreat I started to lay the blocks out still joined up.  It is so much easier!  They all seem to fall into place, and you can go zip, zip with the iron, and then snip, snip with the scissors.  Much easier.
 
Step 4 was to join the units made in Step 3 to the arrowhead units,  Easy! 
 

That's when I discovered I had made way too many arrowhead units!  Oh Woe!  I had actually made enough for the next quilt size up from what I am doing, double what I needed.



But all is well, because Step 5 was to make more arrow head units.  And so I had already, inadvertently made almost all of those.

 
So, drum roll please.......  I'm all caught up on the Scrap Dance Tango. 
 
If you are on Flickr, look for the Scrap Dance Tango group, and if have an Instagram account there are 2 hash tags #scrapdancequiltalong and also #scrapdancetango.  Go take a look at some of the lovely quilts people are creating.
 
Now I'm off to upload my photos.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on being caught up. You did an excellent job. I love your blocks. Those colours really talk to me. Just beautiful!! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! What a happy accident that you got a bit ahead without knowing it! We are close to the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Dasha - looking good. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dasha well done my friend,your blocks look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are really beautiful, but what a lot of work! I would have been worn out at the beginning :) You quilters have fortitude.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog