Sunday, 8 May 2016

Outback Trip - Final

This is the final leg of our recent road trip to Queensland.  If you haven't seen the previous posts you will find part 1 here and part 2 here.
After an overnight stop in Bell, we headed for the Bunya Mountains.  We had time for a short walk, and I'm so glad we did.  Its rainforest country there, so loads of lovely trees and shady, winding paths .......
And gorgeous views like this one at Fisher's Lookout (wonder who Fisher was??)

An interesting vine which has twisted itself.  There is no concept of size here, but it was about 30cm in diameter.

This was a tree which had a parasitic vine on it which had formed massive buttress roots.  The tree has now died, and the aerial roots have remained leaving a tunnel high enough and wide enough to walk through.   

We came across this fellow basking in the sun beside the path.  And walked very, very carefully past him.

For overseas readers who aren't used to our snakes, this is a Red Bellied Black snake and venomous, although not many people die from the snake bite.  I wasn't about to stick around to find out!  Much more pleasant friends were the dozens of quite tame wallabies that hopped around and sunned themselves quite near the camping area.  And the birds here were abundant too, although mostly hidden amongst the foliage. 
Leaving the Bunya Mountains after a quick lunch, we headed for Hervey Bay.  We had by far the best cabin of the entire trip for our stay there, and in a magic location to boot.  This was the view.

I identified 15 different species of birds in the space of about an hour in the morning.  It was very peaceful.

Purple Swamp Hen
There are a lot of flowers in this part of the world.  One of the most spectacular is the Bougainvillea, which comes in at least 5 different colours.  We passed this one on our walk around the streets, complete with grass hopper.

And these water lilies were abundant in the canal beside our cabin.

We took a walk out to the Urangan Pier, built in 1917 to export sugar, coal and timber.  Originally it was over a kilometre long, and carried a railway line.  It is now 868 metres and a fabulous place for a walk.  

It was a beautiful sunny afternoon, but windy.  There was a kite boarder taking advantage of the stiff breeze.  He was doing lift offs whenever he turned.  Quite a spectacular sight.

We followed up with a walk on the lovely Esplanade, which runs for 14km along the waterfront.

I would have loved to stay at Hervey Bay a while longer, but it was time to move on. 
From here we travelled south on the homeward leg.  First stop was Maryborough, where we spied a little steam train.  The 'Mary Ann', is a full sized replica of the first steam locomotive built in Queensland in 1873.
We took a ride.  So fortunate - it only runs one Sunday a month and we happened to be there.  Most of the trip is through Queens Park....

and past the Mary River, close to the Port.  But some of the trip is along a busy road.  Our little steam train caused much merriment with lots of waving, cheering and tooting, as it chugged along the street.

After that little break, we headed on to Caboulture where we were to stay with a cousin I had "found" last year.
Monday 25th April was ANZAC Day; a public holiday to commemorate the participation of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps in World War I.  Most towns have a parade, and we had timed our visit to coincide with the one at Caboulture.
"New" Cousins
All the armed forces were represented in the parade.

There were veterans in vintage cars....

And motorised scooters.

As well as many on foot and representatives of the scouts, schools, ambulace and other community services.  After the parade, we went to the memorial service, during which many wreaths were laid at the war memorial.

Our homeward journey included a flying visit to the State Archives in Brisbane where I managed to cram in a lot of copying with my Dearly Beloved's assistance on the microfilm reader.  Bless him.  He even said it was quite interesting.  Moving on we stayed the first night at Balina, and the second at North Haven.

We had an early morning walk to the end of the breakwater at North Haven before heading on home.  This is the Camden Haven River mouth.

And this is the beach on the other side.

On our walk that morning I came across a small glade where over night, spiders had woven perfect circular webs across the tops of the grasses.  I was astounded that my camera actually managed to capture part of the magic of the sight as I couldn't really get close to them. 

And finally we were home!


  1. Thanks for sharing all your recent adventures, Dasha! It was fun to "tour" Australia through your eyes!

  2. I have enjoyed reading about your travels Dasha - thank you. What an amazing 'tree'. xx

  3. nice. thanks for the "tour". very interesting sights all except the snake of course EW. LOL

  4. Hi Dasha I enjoyed this post,except for the snake,lol,thankyou for sharing my friend xx


I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog