Friday, 4 March 2016

More on Shirley's Quilts

The last week or so I have got back to quilting Shirley's Basket Quilt.  I first told you about Shirley's quilts here

I had got about half way with the quilting on her Basket Quilt at the end of last year and stalled.  Partly because of a hectic Christmas season and mostly because I had bought a new machine for myself at Christmas.  I was so uncomfortable with using the machine that I wanted to leave off quilting anything until I got more confident with using it.  A week or so back I felt brave enough to attempt to finish the quilting on this quilt on the new machine.  I am really happy with the results.

 
In the plain white area between the baskets, I free motion quilted a Celtic knot design using a template.  Here is one of them, complete with a scrap of thread hanging off it!

 
In my last post about this quilt, I said I was undecided about how to handle the piece of plain white between the top of the basket and the handle.
 
I decided to make some Suffolk puffs in yellow and sew them on after the quilting was complete.   To make these I used my Clover Yo-Yo maker.
 
 
I've had it for ages, and haven't used it much.  But the right tool just makes all the difference, even if you haven't had much use for it.  This little yo-yo maker makes the cutest little folded flowers, which I think are perfect for this quilt.

 
I used a variety of lemony yellow fabrics, with a few prints with a splash of blue in them and have made enough puffs for at least 2 on each basket.  I have placed them sort of randomly - some a bit higher, some a bit lower.

 
About half of them are now sewn on.  They take an awfully long time to stitch on considering they are so small.
 
I free motion quilted around all the edges of the baskets and all the seams of the basket itself.
 
 
You can see it a bit clearer from the back.

 
On the borders I wanted to replicate the sweet little hearts printed on the fabric, so I used a template in a double heart design.  Almost invisible on the front in the photo I took, so here it is from the back. 


I am really pleased with how this is looking.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dasha wow this is fantastic,I love the flowers on it,well done my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you've cracked the new machine and certainly the quilting looks wonderful! I like that template design very much and the flowers are just perfect. Yiur right that puff is very similar to my scrunched up circles. At least there's more chance of making duplicates that looks the same that way oo. I have seen the Clover puff templates and may have to treat myself to one now lol Off to the NEC show later this month so will put it on my shopping list !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting is gorgeous on every area of the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting looks lovely Dasha and I think the Suffolk puffs look fabulous! The perfect addition! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful Dasha. Your quilting is lovely. I have one of those makers too and never used it. They finish it off beautifully x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this quilt. You did an excellent job with the quilting and the flowers are just perfect. So cute. I didn't know about this tool but sounds like a big help for your project. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely lovely and it is going to be perfect with all those little yellow flowers on. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wondered what those templates were for! I think it's a brilliant idea to put flowers in your baskets like this. I don't know how I missed this post; better late than never!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog