I have spent the last week or so putting together some of the blocks I have made for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
Firstly I tackled the pile of Twinkler Stars I made over the course of last year. With the enormous pile of blocks I had, I still had to make 3 more pink ones to use this design.
I toyed with putting borders on it, but actually I think it doesn't need borders. So I am calling this one done. I loved making these throughout last year, and I enjoyed putting them together. Such a cheerful top. But you know, the pile of Twinklers does not look at all diminished, and there should be at least two more tops this size in the pile.
Next I chose to tackle the Crossroads Blocks I made through last year.
I had made up 12 blocks for the RSC during 2015, but really it needed to be a 4 x 4 layout which meant I had to construct 4 more blocks. I made them in Teal, Lavender, Gold and dark Claret.
And here is the finished top. It is lap size.
I like this block. It was an easy one to make and used up lots of bits of 2.5" strips. It too, didn't need borders.
Both of these are going to be donations to Stitching Hearts.
I laid it out several ways, but decided I wanted to go for this layout. Photo bombed by Tibby, and a stray ray of sunshine where the blinds don't quite meet.
After laying it all out, I realised that some of the blocks have the "steps" going the wrong way on the "ladder". My friend Fiona actually told me about that at the start of the year, but I thought it would look OK. Not only that, but I didn't heed her warning and made a whole bunch more going the wrong way.
I left it on my floor for a few days debating whether I wanted to reconstruct them or not. Bottom line is that I couldn't live with it. That meant I had to rip 8 blocks and resew them.
If you are wondering what I am on about, take a look at the top two blocks on the right in the photo above, the purple and the orange. The "steps" are going correctly on the purple one, but the wrong way on the orange. And if you still don't see it, here is a photo of the orange blocks.
The top two are the "before" photo and show the "steps" going the wrong way, and the bottom two are the "after" picture.
After reconstructing all 8 blocks that needed doing, I found that I had sewn up the last one back into the original layout. Grrrrrr!!!! (Worst things said in the quiet of my sewing room!) More unpicking.......
I also decided it needed 4 more blocks to make it into a small single for a child. So I made up 2 more dark blue ones, and 2 brown.
After making the extra blocks, I decided that I didn't want the pink one or the green one I had made, and abandoned them in favour of 2 brown ones. So in all I made 6 blocks extra, not the 4 I intended to make.
Here is where I am at - ready to sew the blocks together.
It's been like that for several days. To be honest I am a bit sick of it. I'll get back to it shortly.
The other day I talked about which blocks I want to make for this year's challenge here. I decided to make up a block to see how it looked.
I made this before the colour for January was announced, so it is in green. But I have decided that this is the wrong block set for the RSC. Each of 9 patches in the original photo is in a variety of colours, and the snowball is constructed to tone into the 9 patches it is adjacent to. I know that if I don't do the two blocks at the same time, I will end up with a UFO for a long time. So although I love this, I am looking for another block to make up for this challenge.
Linking up to tonight's RSC link up post here. Why not go take a look at what others have done. Better still, join in. Its great fun to work on scraps for the colour of the month.
Til next time.....Keep on stitching