Saturday, 9 January 2016

Sewing RSC Rainbows

Happy New Year everyone.  Thank you for taking the time to read my blog over the past year.  May 2016 be a happy and creative one for you.

I have spent the last week or so putting together some of the blocks I have made for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Firstly I tackled the pile of Twinkler Stars I made over the course of last year.  With the enormous pile of blocks I had, I still had to make 3 more pink ones to use this design. 

 
I toyed with putting borders on it, but actually I think it doesn't need borders.  So I am calling this one done.  I loved making these throughout last year, and I enjoyed putting them together.  Such a cheerful top.  But you know, the pile of Twinklers does not look at all diminished, and there should be at least two more tops this size in the pile.

Next I chose to tackle the Crossroads Blocks I made through last year.

 
I had made up 12 blocks for the RSC during 2015, but really it needed to be a 4 x 4 layout which meant I had to construct 4 more blocks.  I made them in Teal, Lavender, Gold and dark Claret.

 
And here is the finished top.  It is lap size.
 
 
I like this block.  It was an easy one to make and used up lots of bits of 2.5" strips.  It too, didn't need borders.
 
Both of these are going to be donations to Stitching Hearts.
 
The one I am still in the process of constructing is the Jacob's Ladder blocks I made during 2014.  This quilt is jinxed.

I laid it out several ways, but decided I wanted to go for this layout.  Photo bombed by Tibby, and a stray ray of sunshine where the blinds don't quite meet.

 
After laying it all out, I realised that some of the blocks have the "steps" going the wrong way on the "ladder".  My friend Fiona actually told me about that at the start of the year, but I thought it would look OK.  Not only that, but I didn't heed her warning and made a whole bunch more going the wrong way. 
 
I left it on my floor for a few days debating whether I wanted to reconstruct them or not.  Bottom line is that I couldn't live with it.  That meant I had to rip 8 blocks and resew them. 
 
If you are wondering what I am on about, take a look at the top two blocks on the right in the photo above, the purple and the orange.  The "steps" are going correctly on the purple one, but the wrong way on the orange.  And if you still don't see it, here is a photo of the orange blocks. 
 
 
The top two are the "before" photo and show the "steps" going the wrong way, and the bottom two are the "after" picture.
 
After reconstructing all 8 blocks that needed doing, I found that I had sewn up the last one back into the original layout.  Grrrrrr!!!!  (Worst things said in the quiet of my sewing room!)  More unpicking.......
 
I also decided it needed 4 more blocks to make it into a small single for a child.  So I made up 2 more dark blue ones, and 2 brown.
 
 
After making the extra blocks, I decided that I didn't want the pink one or the green one I had made, and abandoned them in favour of 2 brown ones.  So in all I made 6 blocks extra, not the 4 I intended to make.
 
Here is where I am at - ready to sew the blocks together.

 
It's been like that for several days.  To be honest I am a bit sick of it.  I'll get back to it shortly.
 
The other day I talked about which blocks I want to make for this year's challenge here.  I decided to make up a block to see how it looked.
 
 
I made this before the colour for January was announced, so it is in green.  But I have decided that this is the wrong block set for the RSC.  Each of 9 patches in the original photo is in a variety of colours, and the snowball is constructed to tone into the 9 patches it is adjacent to.  I know that if I don't do the two blocks at the same time, I will end up with a UFO for a long time.  So although I love this, I am looking for another block to make up for this challenge.
 
Linking up to tonight's RSC link up post here.  Why not go take a look at what others have done.  Better still, join in.  Its great fun to work on scraps for the colour of the month.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching

30 comments:

  1. Wow! Love all your RSC projects! Thanks for sharing them in such detail - it gave me lots of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a positive comment Nancy. BTW You are a no-reply blogger :(

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Dasha! You have lots of fabulous RSC projects, they all look fantastic! Have a lovely weekend! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilts, twinkle star my favorite. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely encouraging comment.

      Delete
  4. Oh you have been quite busy but the results are gorgeous !!! The unpicking did not sound fun / I can relate since my seam ripper is my best friend most times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made lots of lovely rainbows. I love the twinkler stars. The Stars pop being white. What size squares did you use? I am making 16 patch blocks and they might work for a Jacob's Ladder. Thanks for this idea. Good luck this year with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many great quilts. Oming together this week. All your effort from last year is really paying off

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the twinklers -- they just sparkle across my monitor. And I really like your snowball idea. Perhaps if you precut the snowballs themselves so they are ready to grab . . . Happy stitching, no matter which version you choose. (And I do understand picking out and remaking blocks to fit your vision of the quilt top)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful scrap challenge quilts. I really like the Twinkler Stars, but all of them turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your twinkler star quilt is especially beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel your pain. I am so dyslexic with things that go on the diagonal (like HSTs!) You think you can just turn the block, but no! Glad you stuck with it because the final product -- all your projects -- look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have accomplished quite a lot. Congrats on finishing two RSC quilts. I love the strippie setting of the Twinklers. There aren't many of those in blogland lately so it is a nice change. I sympathize with the unpicking as I have some to do too in my RSC. Grrrr!! But it's better to catch it now than during the quilting lol. I really love your Jacob's Ladder layout with the darker blocks in the middle. It makes it different than what I have seen so far so it is interesting. That reminds me I have to finish mine. :^P Some day lol.
    You just might find the block you need for RSC2016 today at Angela's place amongst the other projects. Good luck. ♥ ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Wonderful post! I LOVE all your colorful, happy RSC blocks. Those Twinkles came together wonderfully. Don't you love it when RSC blocks made over a year or two, from scraps no less, come together to make wonderful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, also, enjoyed reading about and looking at all of your rainbow scrappy quilts! Such a great variety of blocks! The columns of twinkler stars are especially pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so frustrating to take something apart and redo it, only to discover it is still wrong! Your Jacob's Ladder blocks look great all laid out together. I adore the pale shadowy triangles with the chains of squares. Love your Twinkler Stars and Crossroads tops too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love seeing all your wonderful blocks! (Though now I remember that I really really wanted to make twinklers this year, after seeing yours all of last year!)
    I sympathize with the unpicking - some days I wonder why I bother to set the seam ripper down at all...

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great review post! What about just 9 patches and then you can decide what to do with them later in the year... or use Angela's tutorial to add four corners to them. So glad I am not the only one who gets cat photo bombed... but mine modify my arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your twinkles turned out great, a good finish. The frustrations you've had are what I've been through this week, sewing blocks the wrong way and changing my mind again. Let us hope next week it will be smooth sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that layout you used for the Twinklers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have lovely scrap quilts after the challenge last year, good to see them all in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy 2016 Dasha. My goodness you have been busy making some beautiful projects. Love the star quilt xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I[m so inspired by this post. I love what you've done...love the kitty photo bomb! She's as bad as Jackson! Happy happy 2016!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Dasha! I'm sad that you listened to your friend about the Jacob's Ladder. I was very fond of the "irregular" layout and didn't agree that there was anything to be "fixed."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your twinklers are quite something; I love the layout you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all your RSC tops but especially the Jacobs ladder one - It was worth all that unpicking as the result is stunning. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. So many great projects! I am sorry your seam ripper had to come out and play. :(

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice study in the joys of RSC participation, Dasha! Great finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such pretty tops you've turned your blocks into! I feel your frustration with the Jacob's Ladder blocks. I really like the blue and brown blocks you made to supplement the top. Hang in there, you'll get it done one of these days. <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. The twinkle stars are my favorite! So cute!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog