Saturday, 30 January 2016

RSC16 - Last of the Blues

If you have read my blog before, you will know I have been participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for a couple of years now.  I have started off with a few different blocks this year.  Lets see how long I can keep that up!  LOL
 
The colour for January is blue.  I showed you my Scrappy Sussanah block in a previous post here.  This week I have been playing with my blue scraps again.  First up I made a Stacks and Stacks block.
 
 
 
I found a tutorial by Stephanie for that on the Little Lady Patchwork blog.  It was a super simple block to make up and ends up 9" finished.  I decided to use a light grey print as a background instead of the white in the tute, and as you can see there's a smidge of purple in amongst all that blue.  That is because in a departure from usual, we have an accent colour each month this year, and January's is purple.
 
One little block like that didn't use up many of my scrappy strips, so I really think that this block would be good all in one colour.  Still it was fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in rainbow colours.
 
The next thing I did was take my bag of blue 2" squares to Friday Quilters with me yesterday to see if I could do some damage to it.
 
I made up one blue postage stamp block. 

 
I still had a little time at the end of the morning before we had to leave the hall, so I started making up some little 4-patches.

 
Photographed on my dirty old ironing board cover!  Seeing it here makes me realise I need a new one.  LOL.  The plan for these is to make a few more and put triangles on the corners setting the 4-patches on point.  Still wondering if I'll do the corners in the colour of the month or in a light background colour.  I'll have to do a few trial runs.
 
Linking this post up to the RSC linky here when the post goes up later tonight.
 
Last year I joined up in the Scrap Dance Mystery quilt along run by Carole who blogs at From My Carolina Home. But travel, illness, life and Christmas just got in the way, so I haven't got it finished.  This week I got it out, finished the remaining blocks, decided that it needed one more row to lengthen it a tad, and made them up.
 
This is where I am at - ready to join the blocks into a top.

 
I use a flannel back table cloth to set out my blocks when I am up to this stage.  I can roll it up to stow it away or carry it rolled/folded to my weekly quilt group.  I'm getting there with this one.
 
I enjoyed this so much that I have decided to join into Carole's new Mystery QAL, Scrap Dance Tango.  You'll see the little icon on my right side bar.  If you click on that, or here, you can go take a look at the details of the Mystery.  It's not too late to join in if it takes your fancy. Do join in, it's fun.
 
These are the fabrics I have pulled for the quilt.
 
 
I have begun cutting the blocks I need from that pile.  There are 315 scrappy 3.5" background squares cut, and mostly marked with a diagonal line.  And 252 scrappy 2.5" background squares cut.  I have chosen to do the background in soft cream/bone fabrics.  I am planning to do the lap quilt size.
 
Carole has the first link up today here which I am going to join up.  There is also a Flickr group and there's a hashtag for the QAL on Instagram at #scrapdancequiltalong.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

27 comments:

  1. You've done so much cutting and sewing this week, and the blue postage stamps are great. Enjoy February's colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Postage stamp blocks are always a great way to put everything together. Looks like you are making a dent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good, strong start! and almost time to work with a new color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of pretty blue fabrics. Postage stamps are a great way to use them up. Your Square Dance mystery is beautiful. Love the scrappyness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dasha,i love your blue blocks and boy your quilt is awesome,well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacks and Stacks is a cute little block. Postage stamp blocks are a great scrap buster. Love your colour selection for the mystery project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had fun looking carefully at all your blues to see how many I had of the same! Not many and I have a lot!!! Love your Scrap Dance Mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. off on a new adventure are you! How fun!
    Using scraps, mixing patterns and colors is an addictive process. Just one more... LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely quilt Dasha. I really love it, to the point that I am almost tempted to join you in the new adventure but too little time, you know. Thanks for the link though as I will enjoy the adventure from the side line. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Scrap Dance Mystery turned out beautifully!! (I like yours even better than the original.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all your scrappy blue FUN! The blocks, the QUILT. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty blue blocks. I like your quilt. Patch blocks are fun to make and they become very pretty quilts. Have fun with the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of fun ways to use scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and Cathy with those 49patches! Wow!
    You've got so much fun happening here. If I wasn't up to my shoulderblades in projects already I'd be joining you in that Tango. (I almost did Scrap Dance, but never got started. Yours makes me regret that...)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got a lot of scrappy blues done this week. I especially like the touchs of bright blue. The mystery quilt is beautiful, very serene. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go. I am looking forward to following you this year as you go through the RSC16

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blocks look great, Dasha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness you have been busy. Love your blue block and your other projects x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dasha, everything looks great. Your pull for your next challenge are beautiful together. It will be fun to see them come together in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've done a lot with your blue scraps. The Scrap Dance Mystery is beautiful. I'm tempted, to play along with the new mystery, but I really have to stay on schedule this year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. your mystery quilt is lovely......goodluck with the new one.......

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the Scrap Dance Mystery quilt! And I always love how you are so good at using up all those little squares and making something fun with them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the Scrap dance mystery quilt mention....just what I need

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're doing so well making wonderful blocks with your blue scraps. Your Mystery quilt top looks great. I know you'll have a fun time with the new mystery quilt too. You've chosen such pretty colours for it.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog