Sunday, 24 January 2016

RSC16 - Blue for January

I have decided to join in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge again this year, run by Angela at SoScrappy.  I love scrappy quilting and have really enjoyed the discipline of the last two years, sewing in the colour of the month. (Thank you Angela for organising this!)
 
I have dithered for a while about which blocks to make this year.  I made a sample and showed it off here, but in the end decided I would not do that set of blocks.  Bottom line, I don't think it would benefit in being in rainbow colours.  I think each block would look better in a mix of lots of colours.  I'll use that tutorial to make a quilt, but not for the RSC.
 
So back to square one, I had a look on the web and found a sweet little block called "Scrappy Sussanah" in a tutorial by Andy on the blog A Bright Corner.  The colour for January this year is Blue - any blue.  I made up two little blocks.
  
 
You know me though, I had to alter it!  I made it with 2.5" squares instead of the size in the tutorial.  One thing the RSC has taught me (as if I didn't already know it) is that I like making blocks with itty bitty pieces.  I really don't like those big 12" blocks.  This one will finish at 8".
 
There's still a week to go of January, so I am planning to do some more blocks in blue this week, but I want to do strippy blocks to get those blue strips used up.
 
Anyone with an Instragram account out there?  I have set up a hashtag at #rainbowscrapchallenge2016.  There's one for 2015 too.  Please feel free to post photos of your blocks/quilts.
 
I also managed to finish off the rainbow Jacob's Ladder quilt.  I made these blocks in 2014 for the RSC.

 
I had to make an extra 4 blocks to make it a little bigger, and I remade a bunch of the blocks because I had set the steps going the wrong way.  I'm glad I did that.  It looks way better this way.  The top went with me to Stitching Hearts last Thursday for completion.
 
Yesterday I decided to make a little pouch for myself.  I go to the Mitchell Library on Tuesdays to do research.  Each week I struggle with a bunch of small stuff - pencil, phone, USB stick, library card, you know all those things that fall out of your hands as you trek back to the locker room.  So I dug out some cute scraps and came up with this..... (not the clock!)

 
I've made this pouch before, from a tutorial here.  It is really simple to make, except that I was fighting my machine yesterday and really getting frustrated.  I know, I know.  A bad tradesman always blames his tools......
 
Anyway here is what the inside looks like.

 
Its the perfect size for what I need and it will get a trial run tomorrow. 
 
Linking up this post with this week's link up at SoScrappy.  Please take the time to go take a look at what some of the others have created.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

16 comments:

  1. Dasha there are so many interesting and lovely project...where to start, but I have to say that I love love love the Jacob's Ladder♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Jacob's Ladder came out great! I love the setting you chose.
    And I also love your pouch - from the kitties on the outside to the dotty orange lining, it's just all kinds of perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Jacob's Ladder and the little pouch - if only I had some spare time (what is that anyway!!). Looking forward to seeing your progress in the 2016 scrappy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RSC16 blocks, your Rainbow Jake, and your little bag all look GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love everything, but your Jacob's Ladder is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like your choice for your new RSC blocks- different and cute. I've been using the RSC hashtag- but I think it's mostly me and you! maybe we can get some new folks! I like your pouch, too. I want to make some (more) but still trying to figure out that zipper- sometimes they can look dumb. (but yours looks great- i'll check out the tute)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Jacob's Ladder is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your RSC 2016 block looks great and I bet it will make interesting secondary designs. Jacob's Ladder looks wonderful - I like the arrangement you used!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dasha,wow i love your quilt the colours are amazing and your little pouch is very cute,well done my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing your rainbow blocks come together. Sweet little pouches too x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that setting for the Jacob's Ladder. It looks great. I love the kitties on the zippy pouch. Great job on the lining too,(love orange, love dots). Your new RSC blocks look very interesting. Can't wait to see this one grow through out the year. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes to IG -- will go and see if I have photos that need that hashtag.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt top is very nice with all the colors flowing together. And the little pouch is so cute and practical. I haven't tried any with zippers. I remember my frustration years ago with garment zippers. But the pouch would be so handy in a purse or to grab and go. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jacob's Ladder looks great Dasha... good luck with the RSC this year, I love your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rainbow Jacob - beautiful! I like your scrappy Susannah blocks - and yes, definitely smaller. Great little pouch - I must make some zippy pouches this year as I see so many great designs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the block you've chosen for this year; how many of each colour are you going to need? Your pouch is sweet; enjoy using it in the library. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog