Thursday, 28 January 2016

Reading

Do you like to read?

I do, but it seems that I tend to read in fits and starts.  I go for a while reading everything in sight, then find I don't read for ages.  Right now, I'm in a "nose buried in a book" phase.

Back here I told you that I was reading an Elm Creek Quilts book, and Nell, who blogs here, commented and suggested I try out some of Marie Bostwick's books in the Cobbled Court series.

My library didn't have book one in the series, in fact there are only a few in the whole state!  But I ordered "A Single Thread" on inter-library loan.  What a fantastic service that is.  For a measly $6.50, this terrific book landed in my library all the way from Ballina (far north coast of NSW), and I got a phone call to tell me it was there.

 
It was a great read.  Thank you Nell for suggesting it.  If you haven't read this series, I suggest you go find it at your library.  Evelyn Dixon opens a quilt shop in the little town of New Bern, Connecticut, and in the process finds friendships she didn't expect. 
 
So then of course I wanted book two in the series, a thread of truth.

This one came from Orange, about 5 hours due west of us.  The shop, Cobbled Court Quilts is beginning to flourish.  The main theme through this book is domestic violence.   The next couple in this series are in my library, so I am planning to move onto them shortly.

You can read a bit more about Marie Bostwick and her writing here.

The day I went into the library to order book two of the series, I was poking around trying to find something interesting to read until book two turned up.  You know the story - too much choice.  I couldn't make up my mind what to read.  So then I thought, why not the first book on the shelf of  "A"s.  This is what it was....

 
It was a wee bit of a worry just grabbing that book, but when I flipped it over I thought it would be OK.  It was a murder mystery and that's the genre I like.  But it had a twist.  The main character, Peter Grant, was a copper in a sort of secret division of the London Metropolitan police which dealt with ghosts.  Although it wasn't badly written, I just couldn't get past the wizards and spells as part of the staid London Met!   I am not into fantasy, so I won't be on the look out for any more of his.

If you would like to find out more about Ben Aarondovitch, his bio is here

Now I am reading a sweet little book my friend Fiona lent me, "A Fine Romance" by Susan Branch.
This is basically a travel journal, about their trip to England.  She and her husband travel on the Queen Mary and then stay in the English countryside, visiting historic homes and gardens.  The description of driving on the "wrong side of the road" is hilarious, but so real.  I know how I felt when in the States and in Europe, on the "wrong side of the road".  There are so many whimsical drawings and pictures in it, its a delight to read.  I'm really glad I am only half way through this.
   
Susan Branch has an interesting blog, jam packed with tons of good things here.  Have a look on the "Home Sweet Home" tab.  There is a section there on quilts.  She has a lovely collection of antique quilts which are showcased there.

When I am done with this book, I will head back to the library and grab the last book on the "Z" shelf.  Hopefully it will be something I enjoy.

So, til next time.....go read a book. :)

5 comments:

  1. I like the sound of some of the lovely books you have been reading Dasha.... I think I will have to see if I can get hold of them to read too! Thank you for the recommendations! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I am going on the hunt for the Cobbled Court books. I always feel so let down when I finish a series of books and there's no more. Now I can get back into another author....thank-you xxx I'll let you know how I go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read much the same way, in spurts with some time in between, at least most of the time anyway. The books you posted about look very interesting. I like drama and mystery with a touch of romance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I've wanted to read the Mary Bostwick books but had forgotten. I heard an interview with her a while ago. It's great to know you enjoyed them. I'll have to see if my library has them. Thanks for the book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what fun! Sorry I'm so behind in my blog reading. You've picked some goodies to read. I loved Branch's book; it passed too quickly. Her art is lovely. That other series sounds REALLY good. I enjoy a good murder mystery too -- esp. if it's rather fun and light-hearted. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog