Wednesday, 30 December 2015

Planning for the 2016 Rainbow Scrap Challenge

I have participated in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge that Angela runs on her blog, SoScrappy for a couple of years, and am planning to do it again this year.  I have enjoyed the discipline of piecing in one colour each month and the friendships in the link ups each Saturday.

This year I made piles of Twinklers, Bow Ties and Crossroads blocks.  Still haven't done anything about putting them together.  In fact only this week I made a bunch of Bow Ties in dark blue - catching up from several months back.

 
That is the last of the blocks I need to make, so I guess I need to set to and actually piece some of them into tops.

But what to do in 2016?

In 3 days time Angela will be announcing the colour for January, so with that in mind I have been doing some planning.

I have loads of precut 2", 2.5" and 3" strips in all the colours of the rainbow.  I would dearly love to make a dent in those this year.   I spent some time trawling the internet for ideas, and found this strippy block which appeals to me:


Its called the Stacks & Stacks quilt block and there is a very detailed tutorial on the Little Lady Patchwork blog which Stephanie wrote for the Blogger's Block of the Month in January 2013.  I think it will lend itself to being made in one colourway each month.

I also have what seems like a bazillion precut 2", and 2.5" squares.  It doesn't seem to matter how many I use, they just breed.  LOL   Anyways.  I had intended to do a postage stamp quilt out of 2" squares this year, but then I found this gorgeous design:

 
I found it on a sweet blog called Dear Lissy.  Rebecca, the blogger, calls this a "controlled scrap quilt".  There is no tutorial, but it is simple enough - a 9 patch and a snowball.  I reckon that will do me for one of my choices, and I will do it with 2" squares for the 9 patches, and white fabric for the snowballs.

Hopefully, those two blocks will help to dent the baggies of scraps I have.

Lastly, I am toying with the idea of making a Sunbonnet Sue quilt in rainbow colours.  I love hand sewing, and this should make a perfect night time, in front of the TV project.  I think I will choose the one of the patterns in the book 501 Quilt Blocks by Better Homes & Gardens.  There are several in there, and perhaps I will do a variety of Sues and maybe a few Andys as well.  Hopefully it will look cute in rainbow colours.

Are you planning on playing in the 2016 Rainbow Scrap Challenge?  If not, have a go.  Its great fun.

Off to do a test block or two.

Til next time.....Keep on Stitching.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dasha wow I love these blocks,you are very clever my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dasha,

    Good luck with your quilting rainbow projects. Funny how scraps breed more scraps. Sounds like you will be kept busy stitching in 2016. Happy New Year.

    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dasha. Happy New Year. I love both the blocks you have chosen but I especially like the nine patch/snowball - am almost tempted to join in myself but have promised myself a year of finishes, not starts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new Year Dasha. I like the unusual effect of those 9-patches with snowball blocks; that looks like a good choice. You can certainly get a lot of squares used up in that.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog