Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Quilting Shirley's Quilts

In 2014 our friend Shirley from Stitching Hearts passed away.  I blogged about Shirley here at the time of her funeral.

Some of her part completed quilts were given to Stitching Hearts to do with as we wished.  I was asked to quilt three of her quilts, and in the last week or so I have made a start.  The one I chose to work on first, is a sweet little quilt with baskets.

 
It is beautifully pieced.  The baskets have been made in two shades of blue, and they look like they are woven.

 
I used a Frixion pen in pink to mark a design in the large plain white sections.  The design was marked using a template I made eons ago.  Goodness knows where I found the original design, but I traced it onto templastic and have used it on several quilt.  
 
Here I am launching into the quilting on my domestic sewing machine. 
 

 
It is always a bit heart stopping when you mark up a quilt like this.  Even though I've done it before and I know it will vanish, there is always a slightly horrid feeling of "what if".

I shouldn't have worried though.  I used the "shot of steam" function on my steam iron to erase the markings.  You hold the iron just over the marked area and the steam does all the work for you.  You don't need to actually touch the fabric with the iron.  It works like magic.

 
I used a silky white rayon thread made by Gutterman on this section.  Love the texture the quilting has given this quilt.  It is due of course to the wadding, which is a good quality one, and I think is a wool/poly mix.

 
I have used a half motif on the sides and a quarter motif in the corners.  Only 2 more motifs to do and a few half ones.
 
I decided to outline quilt the baskets in a royal blue rayon embroidery thread, and I have stitched in the ditch on all the seams in the basket itself.   I think the section between the basket and the handle needs something.  Any ideas??

No idea yet what I will do with the borders.  Hopefully inspiration will hit when the time comes.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt and the quilting design you've chosen looks wonderful! I know you'll decide on the perfect designs for the borders too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dasha,this is such a lovely quilt,I love your FMQ on it,well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely quilt and you quilting looks gorgeous Dasha. How about a flower in that gap? Anyway, I am sure you will find the perfect pattern. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you are able to finish a quilt for your friend! Your quilting is beautiful!
    Maybe a heart design could be stitched in some of the baskets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your quilting and I agree with the others. hearts and flowers would look nice. I am sure Shirley is smiling at making her quilt come to life.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog