Sunday, 1 November 2015

Good Bye Brown

And what comes next??  I have been wondering what colour Angela will choose for the November colour this year in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

I have been sick all week, so not much of anything going on around here.  Fed up with lolling about in bed yesterday, I snuck downstairs and made up these:

 
14 little brown Bow Tie blocks to add to the 6 I made a week or so back.  At the start of the year I had not intended to make so many blocks each month, but these are so quick and addictive to make.  I just love doing them and they keep on leaping in under my sewing machine needle unassisted.  LOL  I shall have to think about a setting for them before too long.
 
Then this afternoon I went and added the borders to this quilt.

 
It was brought into Stitching Hearts quite a while ago, but was a bit small as it was, so I brought it home to add the borders.
 
I have picked it up several times since it came home with no inspiration at all as to what the borders should be.  This week I was trying to tidy my workroom a bit (Ha Ha!) and found the quilt, sitting sadly in a heap.  As soon as I saw it I knew it needed a narrow purple frame border, and a large print for the outer one.  As it happened, last time I was at Stitching Hearts I brought home a pile of fabrics to destash for the group and the fabric I chose for this quilt was in that pile.
 
Just enough purple to cut 1.5" strips for the first border, and just enough of the print to cut the 3.5" strips for the second border.  Nothing left of the purple, and just one 2" strip of the fruit print.  Feeling chuffed.
 
The fruit print is not a fabric I would have ever purchased,  but I think it looks good with the quilt. 
 
There are some fun fabrics in the blocks, like this building in the corner.


And the blue pottery.


And also a lovely floral bouquet.  Wouldn't mind a piece of that fabric!

 
You might remember me telling you about a little baby quilt I made here to take to Melbourne for a Naming Ceremony.  Well here is the little cutie on her quilt.

 
Isn't that just the cutest photo??

Don't forget to go take a look at all the other brown goodies made this month in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge link up here.

Til next time.....Keep on Stitching

PS Just noticed that the colour for November is lime green.

15 comments:

  1. I hope you're feeling better!
    I love your borders - such a sweet little quilt it will be.
    Now on to lime green! Yeehaw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling better now, Dasha. Your bow ties look great. So does your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is clearly a winner, such a cute pic too : )
    Yes hope your on the mend now !

    ReplyDelete
  4. dasha it's fun to see the different fabrics. I love all the variety. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are feeling a lot better. Love the bow tie blocks, lots of rich browns in those. Great finds and finish on the orphan quilt. It turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get well soon. Looks like the little one is really enjoying her quilt. The bow ties are addictive. Perhaps they'd be a good project for me next year?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finish on the Stitching Hearts quilt! I think one of the reasons I love scrappy quilts is because they are such treasure troves of different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you are sick. Speedy recovery to you my friend. Love the bowties. I think the fruit fabric goes well with the interesting prints and some of the colours of that quilt. Good job. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The purple inner border is just right for your quilt. So glad you had just the right amount on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really should control those bow ties or they will sneak into every project on hand. The fabric finds were simply meant for that little quilt, a perfect finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate wasting "earned time" on being sick so have to be really sick to call off work but when I am really sick I sneak in a little sewing too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you're feeling better now that you've been able to do some sewing. Those Bow Tie blocks really can be addictive. Great photo of the little one on her quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SEW glad that you are feeling a bit better! You did a nice job on your BROWN blocks and the cutie really seems to like her quilt. Congrats! on your newly completed quilt top, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better, dear.
    Love those bow tie blocks. Congratulations on a wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice brown blocks - I like brown! The squares quilt looks good with your borders and little cutie looks great with the quilt. Lime green! UGH!! xx

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog