Saturday, 3 October 2015

RSC 2015 - Playing Catch Up

I have been participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge run by Angela at SoScrappy for almost 2 years now.  Love working with scraps from the colour of the month!  The colour for September was orange and October's colour is brown.

I was away for most of August and quite a bit in September too, so I was behind, a lot behind.  This week I managed to scrounge a few minutes here and there to make some blocks.

I wanted to finish off the September oranges before I got started on October's browns.  So I made up 10 little bow ties.


Then I finished off the last of the red Twinkler stars I had prepped for July, since they were just sitting around getting under my feet, but as always there was a blooper.

 
How come I seem to make a mistake on these every month?  I have made heaps of them each month, and each month I carefully lay them out before I sew.  And every month, out comes the seam ripper.  Anyways, there are now another 4 twinklers to add to those I made in July.

 
But looking at them in the photo, I reckon you could classify the one on the bottom left as brown.  It was definitely red when I sewed it up.  Was I seeing things through rose coloured glasses do you think?   LOL
 
Then I set to and made a Cross Roads block in red, one in orange and then one in brown (the October colour), so I have officially started on the browns.

 
I have yet to make any blocks in Indigo, the colour for August.  But I have finished off the reds and the oranges now.
 
Lots of people have commented in the past months how many scraps I have when I post my RSC posts.  Well that's because people gift me their scraps.  This is a bag which was given me by Robin last week.  A large garbage bag, chockers with scraps of all colours. 


That will keep me in scraps for the RSC for the next 5 years I think!  And that isn't counting the scraps I generate in my sewing.  But before I can use them they will need to be sorted & organised.

I'm going to leave you tonight with some photos of a Central Coast spring evening, taken from our front balcony.

To the left

And to the right
This is also the view from my kitchen window.  Bit of a distraction when you are washing up!

Please take the time to hop on over to SoScrappy to see what the others have created this week.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

23 comments:

  1. Well you have been busy with your catching up and what a lovely view! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good, diligent sewing! looks great... it's always nice to move on to a new color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! What a gift (and what a task) to receive all those scraps! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that is a lot of scraps! Beautiful blocks. I made a bunch of the friendship stars in blue for a quilt for my son - never failed but I always had a few turn out like yours that needed to be taken apart. Happens to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bag of gifted scraps looks like Christmas morning for a quilter. What a fun pile of possibilities. Great progress on all your RSC projects. Glad you won't be running out of fabric anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great progress at catching up - I'm way behind on two projects I started earlier this year (have been side tracked finishing other projects that were higher on the list). What fun to sort through that gifted bag of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lucky you to get those scraps! You are putting them to a wonderful use, too!! Love that crossroads pattern hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great new bag of scraps to enjoy!
    Love that you have bloopers too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of good progress this wee. What a wonderful gift! So many yummy new scraps to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes I leave my "bloopers" in for a bit of "character" and pretend like I don't notice them! What a nice gift every quilter would love...scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your RSC blocks! Seam ripper and I are close friends!
    I love it when people gift me scraps. Also I create a lot of scraps because I mess up cutting fabric for blocks. Quilt trimmings after quilting before binding creates more strings. I always seem to have a lot of scraps. Thankfully this challenge helps me keep them under control ... somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice selection of blocks finished, and even a brown one. You must be feeling satisfied now. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great things come from small packages, or in your case many rainbow blocks shall come from generous scrap packages. Well done on your blocks. Love the view!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice red twinklers, and you don't always make mistakes, you just make so many blocks it's hardly surprising some of your triangles turn around! Your bow ties are fun, the more I see the more I like bow tie blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg I want to come right over and sort through the scrap bag with you. It's just so exciting to get a bag from friends that has different fabrics in it! Of course my bags seem to have fusible scraps mixed in, uh oh, and bits of polyester. Then there is the surprise block thrown (away) in for me. What a treasure trove. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job getting caught up with the colors! And what a lot of scraps! You must have so much fun sorting through them deciding what to do next. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sack of scraps looks very interesting! and I love the view from your window. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great scrappy blocks! No wonder you have such a huge assortment of scraps - not just your scraps, but scraps from others - what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job catching up. Love the twinklers--and yes, my seam ripper is my second most used tool (after the sewing machine). And isn't so much fun to get other people's scraps?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lots of fun blocks this week. Your orange bow ties turned out beautifully. Those star blocks can be tricky. I also lay mine out before I piece them and pin each set of two together so I know which side to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your blocks, blooper and all! (Those darn bloopers sure do sneak up on us, don't they?)
    I need a Robin to give me garbage bags of scraps... Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely bright colours and bow ties always look good

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so easy to find yourself in the situation of being somewhat behind, been there!
    You have been busy and your Crossroad blocks are going to make a beauty of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog