Friday, 24 July 2015

Stash Building & Quilting

Last week I took some donations up to the Wickham Student Accommodation Facility run by the Samaritans.  If you remember, we made some quilts for them last year with Stitching Hearts.  On the way home I stopped briefly in a little park on the banks of Lake Macquarie.  It was a glorious day and the lake was like glass.  I was particularly chuffed to see I had captured the reflection of the clouds in the sky.

 
And here are the obligatory photos of cormorants all lined up sunning themselves.

 
Back on the road again, I swung by Blueberries.  Its on the northern edge of the Central Coast and I don't get there terribly often as its generally too far for me to go, so I took the opportunity to pop in an see what they had.  I love the fabrics Jackie keeps.
 
I stocked up on some neutrals and a wee bit of lovely red fabric.

 
And some applique needles.  I like to use a very fine needle, and am always looking for fine, large eye needles.  I haven't seen this brand before.  Isn't the packaging gorgeous?  Hope they live up to expectations.

 
I have been quilting the baby quilt the last couple of days. Some stitching in the ditch and a figure of eight design in the pink pieces in free motion quilting.  I have marked the centres of the pink bits for the junction of the "eight" and just point and shoot.  You can just make that out in the photo.

 
And in the odd bits of time I have, I've been making little drawstring bags for the Samaritans Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes.  If you've been reading my blog for a while, you might remember that I made a whole pile last year.
 
So far, there are 28 completed, and around 20 more half made.  I don't mind making them.  They are super simple to make, and I get to use fabric I am never likely use.

 
I have no idea how many I will make.  I'll stop when I get bored.  When they are done, I will drop them off at the school two of my grand daughters go to. 
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Dasha! What a lovely photo you took of the lake.... so peaceful! Love your quilt... and the quilting looks great! Good luck with all those drawstring bags.... it is such a great cause! Have a lovely weekend! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! I remember the little bags - and forgot all about them too lol
    I meant to remember to make some this year for the shoeboxes for Christmas over here - so many thanks for the reminder!!
    Have been sorting stash out and realise I must never, ever, buy any more fabric again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bags will make wonderful, personal additions to those shoe boxes. That really means a lot to both the children to get them, and to the organization -- to see the love and care put into those boxes. The first photo is lovely. Nice reflection!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog