Wednesday, 8 July 2015

RSC 2015 - Mid Year Round Up

Today is the middle of the year for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2015.  We have been invited by Angela (from here) to show our efforts so far.  Thank you Angela for organising this fun challenge.

At the start of the year I decided to just do 3 simple projects.  They are actually all blocks I haven't done before, so it has been a fun process.  All of the quilts I make for this challenge will ultimately end up as charity quilts for Stitching Hearts.

1.  Cross Roads block.

I found a tutorial for this from Connie's blog, Free Motion by the River.  The tutorial gives instructions for 3 sizes and I chose to do the largest size which will finish at 12".  This is where I am at with that.

 
It definitely needs some red in there to brighten it up, but that's not a problem because red is the colour for this month.  It is an easy block and uses lots of 2.5" strips, of which I have a ton.  I do like them all laid out together.
 
2.  Twinkler Stars.
 
I saw these being made throughout last year in the RSC, and I fell in love with them, so Twinklers have made it into my plan this year.  I found this tutorial at Susan's blog Quiltfabrication.  But of course I can't leave well enough alone, and I changed the sizes.  I am using 2.5" squares of colour for the star and 2" squares of white for the rays.

 
These little blocks end up 6" finished and I love, love, love them.  I have made so many that I will have enough for 2 little lap quilts for Stitching Hearts by the end of the year.
 
I also decided to make large Twinklers, one each month.  For these I used 4" squares in each colour, and 2.5" squares of white.  This will finish in a 12" block.

 
Being a large block, I won't need as many of them, but I don't like them nearly as much as the dear little 6" twinklers.  I will need to remake one of those light blue ones and replace it with a dark blue star.

3.  Bow Ties

For my third block I chose Bow Ties.  Can't believe that I have never made them before!  I didn't use a tutorial for these, just winged it.  I am using 3.5" and 2" squares of colour, and 3.5" squares of neutrals.


Eagle eyes might notice that I have snuck in a few little red Bow Ties.  Red is the colour for July, and that's all I have done in red so far.

Please go take a look at what others have done so far this year; click on this link here.

There was some excitement here early this evening.  We saw the International Space Station move across the sky from northwest to southeast, right over the top of our house.  It was a beautiful, clear evening and the Space Station was brightly lit so it was very visible.  It went quite close to both Venus and Neptune (ooops it was Jupiter, not Neptune!) and you could be excused for thinking it was a plane except that it was moving much faster than a plane.  Besides, we don't have air traffic fly over us.  It took about 5 minutes to cross over the entire width of the sky.  Truly a once in a lifetime thing to see.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching

18 comments:

  1. So many pretty blocks. It is hard for me to decide whether I like the little twinklers or the bowties better. What a great collection of quilts you will be ready to put together by the end of the year. Such a great view of the ISS. So glad you were able to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a GREAT bunch of blocks there, Dasha! I really like the layout that you've chosen for the Bow Tie Blocks. Looking forward to seeing the blocks that join in during the 2nd half of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to see the space station! And I agree that I like the little twinklers better than the larger ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So neat you were able to see the ISS! You have great bunches of blocks - those little twinklers are calling to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little twinklers just catch my eye every time!
    And lucky you to see the space station!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bow ties... especially in the layout you are showing. Thanks for showing yours. My butterflies are packed away for our move in a week, so it's heart warming to see your projects.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I didn't know anyone could see the space station in the night sky! We have so much cloud cover generally that I don't pay much attention to what might be visible up there. ;- )

    I'm glad you made that statement about using 2.5" strips for the Crossroads blocks. It hadn't occurred to me that I could use my strips that way. Will have to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good job girl! How exciting about the space station sighting. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are making great progress with your RSC projects!
    That's awesome that you saw the Space Station go over. That would be quite a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a bunch of blocks!! I think I need to start making twinklers - love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much fun to see all your blocks together! Great story about the Space Station - what an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All three of your projects are looking so good, you must be so pleased with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to see all your projects laid out - those little twinklers are my favourite. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. fun quilt starts. love them all. I would probably try to combine them in one quilt with the little guys as a border. love them all

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh. wow! I just love your twinkle stars!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE your RSC collections! You have been busy this half of the year. I'm looking forward to seeing all these blocks become colorful quilts.
    Thank you for the link. Beautiful quilts for such worthy projects. I'm sure they will provide much warmth and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bless your heart and Stitching Hearts...those are going to be some lovely quilts.

    Are you sure you weren't seeing a UFO streaking across the sky???? Or Superman?

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog