Saturday, 6 June 2015

RSC 2015 - First Week of Pale Blue

This week has been very busy for me, but I did manage to snatch some time here and there at odd moments for some sewing. 
 
First up I finished sewing the rainbow 25-patch blocks I made for last year's RSC into a top. 
 
 
On Thursday I took it down to Sydney to Stitching Hearts for backing and wadding.  Robin has taken it to be quilted on her long arm.  It will be donated to Ronald MacDonald House when it is done.
 
Yesterday, being Friday, was Friday Quilter's morning.  The hall where we meet was not available to us, so I had the ladies come to my house to sew.  With 3 away at the moment and one sick, there ended up only 4 of us.  After everyone left, I made up these 4 Twinkler Stars.

 
I have heaps of blue scraps, but surprisingly few pale blue scraps.  I was determined not to cut into the larger pieces of fabric, as this is a scrap challenge.  I have also pulled some darker blues as I didn't make many of those earlier this year.  I've prepped a bunch more to do as and when I get a chance.

 
Maybe I will cut some pale blue squares - there won't be many pale blue stars out of this lot.
 
I am linking up this post to Angela's blog, soscrappy.  Do pop on over to see what some of the others have done for the challenge.
 
I've also done some secret sewing, but I can't show that yet. 
 
This afternoon I had the iron on, and suddenly there was a rattling and a LoT of smoke.  I rushed over and pulled it out of the socket, but the smoke went on, and on, and on, pouring out of the iron, so I took it outside and doused it with water.  One burned out iron.  Bummer!  Apart from anything else the house stank.

 
So I'll be off shopping for a new one this weekend I guess.
 
Last Sunday my middle grand daughter, Miss12, came over as she had a school uniform which needed shortening. After it was pinned, she asked if she could make a cover for her Bible. 

So she shopped my stash and set to making it.  I did the figuring and the cutting, she did the rest.  Isn't it great? 

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

21 comments:

  1. I hi Dasha I love your blue blocks and your GD made herself a lovely bible cover,enjoy your weekend my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! I think next year i'll have to do 25 patch blocks, too. my pile of squares/scraps never seems to get smaller, no matter how much I sew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the burning iron only left a bad smell! Your twinklers are so tempting and I love how you brought the 25-patches together with the colorful connectors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love her bible cover! Talent runs in your family. Bummer on the iron - mine got dropped last year and the auto off switch is busted but it still works so far. I always love star blocks and your's are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your granddaughter did a terrific job with her Bible cover - love the little lace trim. If she created scraps I think those colours would work for Angela's colour this month. The twinklers are so cheerful. Bright colourful cornerstones really pulled your quilt together. A productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about the death of your iron, but the rest of the week looks like a BIG win. Especially since you got to share some sewing time with your granddaughter. Sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blue stars and by the looks of things a lot more to come! Congratulations to your very talented GD; it's beautiful cover. I've never heard of an iron burning out before. Is it still under guarentee?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blues are lovely, and the Bible cover is splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love that finished Rainbow top, gorgeous, and lovely Twinkler Stars too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt looks super from RSC 2014, and I have the same problem with light blues being rather low, I may have to go blue/green.

    ReplyDelete
  11. another quilter joins the group! Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Dasha! Love your finished quilt top with all the rainbow colours... very pretty and your grand daughter did a great job with the cover! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt looks great, Dasha. What a great job your granddaughter did on her Bible cover. Good luck with the iron shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How awesome that your granddaughter wanted to do a project with you! Your rainbow quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely Bible cover! You and your grand daughter did a good job.
    Love the 25-patch quilt. What a colorful, happy quilt for Ronald McDonald House. I didn't know they accepted donation quilts. Congratulations on a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Bible cover is so pretty. Love the material that was used for it. And your star blocks are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry about your iron. I bought a Shark last time and it's ok. Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your rainbow quilt is lovely and the bible cover is a great make. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL Ive always thought ironing might endanger my health, you've just proved it!
    A delightful cover, beautiful colours there and a great quilt top finish too

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice job on the Bible cover! Those are so useful. You're training up those granddaughters well :) Sorry about the iron. What a bizarre, smokey death! I never iron ... and I never quilt, and I guess the two are connected, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha! My Tfal iron died last week too! No smoke, just stopped heating. Love your rainbow 25patch quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog