Monday, 20 April 2015

Very Slow Stitching

Do you take a hand piecing project with you when you go away?

I do. Always.  Even if I'm only going to be away a day or two. This trip I have taken 3 different projects with me. 

The first is a pretty little cross stitch design in a kit which I bought at the Crewel Gobelin in Killara a couple of months ago when I went there with Jan.  The sample in the shop had been made up into a little pin cushion. 

 
As you can see, not a lot has happened with this one!  Apart from anything else, I haven't had a lot of time to just sit and stitch.
 
But I also have to admit I am struggling with this for a number of reasons.  Firstly, the linen is not an even weave, and it is a very fine one as well.  Then the thread on the outer frame of the design is a very pale olive green, and it is getting completely lost on the brown background fabric.  So I am finding it very hard to see what I am doing, and it is taking a long time to do. 
 
The next project I brought is a set of quilt as you go hexi drinks coasters. I made a few of these last year, and my daughter piped up recently and asked me to make her some.  So like a good Mumma, I am making her some more.  LOL
 
 
The first step is to applique the teapot motif onto the background.  They are cute and dead easy to make.  This is actually the third one on which I am doing the applique.  I will finish them off at home.
 
Lastly, I brought the makings of a biscornu with me, but that is still sitting in my work bag untouched.  Not terribly interesting to show photograph, so you will have to wait for a photo on that one.
 
Linking up with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching here.  Why not take a look at what the others are working on?

13 comments:

  1. That is very fine x stitch! Nice coaster as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiny cross stitch indeed, and although I've done quite a lot of cross stitch, I've always used even-weave fabric; I imagine fabric with an uneven weave is really difficult to work with. The coasters look fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat idea for coasters, and fun print to do it with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried cross stitching on linen but I can imagine it would be a little tricky. I'm like you and always take hand sewing with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that handwork is always a necessity when traveling! I start having withdrawal symptoms if there is nothing to sew.
    I think I would trade that really light green out for something a little easier to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your fussy cut coaster project! I need to do some embroidery for my GW quilt and have a wedding to attend in another state in May, thanks for the reminder to get those blocks marked and ready to go! I love working in the car as it makes a 7 hour trip go so much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Handwork is great to take away. You've chosen nice projects too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect projects to take with you. EnJoY xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always take something to work on when I go away, even if I don't get round to working on it! Cute hexagon coaster project! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back in the day, before I became "obsessed" aka passionate about quilting, I did counted cross stitching ... in those days my eyesight was much better and could even stitch on 22-count - over 1. I'm not sure that today I could stitch on 22 count over 2. ;-) I always take something with me when we travel - EPP makes a perfect road trip project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your cross stitch design is something like what my daughter works on - I do take hand piecing with me when I travel too. Can't stand to have idle fingers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute idea for coasters! And yes, I always try to take a hand work bag with me, even if I'm not sure I'll have time for it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so good to have small hand work to take traveling. I often take a bit of knitting or crochet -- not a blanket or shawl, but maybe washcloths or a scarf. Looks good! But don't stress if you enjoy your trip and get little done on it!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog