Saturday, 18 April 2015

Hereford

On Wednesday I hitched a ride to Hereford with my sister-in-law on her way to work, and spent the morning prowling around sightseeing. 

We were fairly early, so I decided to start with a cuppa.  I found the nicest little café near the Cathedral which had a few chairs outside, so I sat with my tea and basked in the sun.


It had been recommended that I should visit the Cathedral, and what a beautiful building it turned out to be.


Stunning stained glass windows.  This is one of many.


Beautiful pillars, arches, and gold Reredos behind the altar all shimmering in the candlelight.


And the tiled floors!  By now you must know that I love tiling.  Wouldn't these make wonderful quilt designs?




The Cathedral also housed a museum.  Sadly no photography was allowed.

The key items on display being one of only 4 copies of the Magna Carta!  How amazing was that to stand in front of a document which is 800 years old. There is a bit more about that here.

The second amazing exhibit was the world's largest Medieval map of the world, called a Mappa Mundi created about 1285.  More about the Mappa Mundi here.

Hereford Cathedral has been a place of learning for centuries, and the cathedral owns a large number of ancient manuscripts, the oldest date back to 800.  The manuscripts are housed in what is known as a Chained Library, a practise common until printed books became more readily available.  Obviously to prevent theft.  The books have a chain attached to the cover, the chain being long enough for the book to be removed from the shelf and read at the desk provided in front of the shelf.  The history of the Hereford Chained Library is here

Three brilliant exhibits and a really well worth while place to visit.

My next stop was the Old House, right in the centre of the Hereford.  It was built in 1621 and is a half timbered house in beautiful condition.


No photography inside here either, so I can't show you any.  It is on 3 storeys and furnished in Jacobean style with some rare wall paintings with Biblical references which are really interesting.  More about the Old House here.

That's it for now.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching

7 comments:

  1. Hello Dasha! So glad you are having such a lovely visit to the UK. The weather has been really great this week, so you picked a good time to come! The cathedral at Hereford looks fabulous! Enjoy the remainder of your stay! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely tour - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing some of your UK visit with us. What a beautiful cathedral, and love the half timbered blogs as well. Tiled floors are such inspiration for quilters. Take lots of pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tiling in the cathedral; inspiration for a quilt, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you survived the day and came away undoubtedly more learn-ed!
    lol
    Gosh the cathedral must be well worth a visit and yes, wonderful flooring! Just slabs at Saxby and I realises I didn't photograph them sorry!!
    Enjoy girl ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dasha wow these pics are stunning,Thankyou for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, what a fascinating, beautiful place! Those buildings are gorgeous, and I'm a bit jealous that you got to see such ancient items, esp. the documents. Wow! Thanks for sharing with us. I'd never thought of how similar floor tiles are to quilt patterns, but you are right -- glad you got photos; maybe you can turn one into a quilt :)

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog