Saturday, 14 March 2015

RSC15 - Yellow, week 2.

Yellow is the colour for March in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year. 
 
This week I have managed to squeeze a bit of sewing into my week, and I have sewn up some Twinkler Stars.  Firstly the large one, which finishes at 11"
 
 
And then I managed to make up 4 of the small ones.  These ones finish at 6.5".

 
I have virtually no yellow in my stash, and really only a few scraps.  So I was surprised to see that there was quite a bit of variation in the shades. 
 
I follow Barbara Brackman's blog, and the other day she spoke about the use of yellow in the 19th and 20th Centuries in this informative post.  I love reading her posts - there is so much historical information about quilts & fabrics in each one!  Anyway, that got me thinking that yellow is really out of fashion these days.  It is quite hard to find true yellow fabric, and you rarely see yellow used in quilts today.  I certainly don't use it much.
 
Last month's colour was pink, and I missed out on getting my small Twinklers made, so as I was on a roll, I made 5 of those.  Now I am all caught up.  Just have to make sure I get the rest of my yellows done.


I have also realised that I haven't credited the original tutorial I used.  If you feel like making a few Twinklers, you'll find the tutorial here at Quiltfabrication.  But you know me don't you?  I adapted the tute so I could use what I had, so for the large ones I use 4" and 2.5" squares and the small ones I use 2.5" and 2" squares.

Earlier this year I created a hashtag in Instagram for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge - #rainbowscrapchallenge2015.  If you have an Instagram account please feel free to add your creations to that.  The more the merrier.  Oh.  And come visit me too if you are so inclined.

I'm linking up with the others who have sewn yellows this month at SoScrappy

18 comments:

  1. Lovely stars in yellow. When you first showed your twinkle stars I thought this was another name for the Friendship Star, but now I see the star points are smaller. Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting point about yellow. I didn't use it much at all before the RSC. I had to make a point to add some to my stash to round out the rainbow. I do love the brightness it adds though. Congratulations on getting caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dasha! These twinkling star blocks are really pretty in any colour! Enjoy your weekend! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Barbara's info too. Very pretty twinkling star blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm tempted by the Twinklers! I agree about the lack of good yellow fabrics these days, but the RSC has really helped me use yellow more often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the Twinklers I used the original pattern at Claudia's Quilt Shoppe and made a Quilt of Valor last year with them. I love those... they are so easy and cute. I have about enough for a kid sized quilt since I've been making them since last year in the six inch size. I never thought about making a bigger size. I have some yellow fabrics I picked up from the thrift shop a couple of times. I think it looks like 70s fabrics! I never used to like yellow in quilts but I kind of like it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a nice variety of yellows for not using it much. I have a lot of yellows, I think because blue or purple with yellow are some of my favorite color combinations for quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the link to the Twinkler tutorial -- it is on my list for someday! I agree that good yellows are hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some think that yellow overpowers a quilt and should be used sparingly. Your yellow twinklers are great. Nice variety in the yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute twinkle stars!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the tutorial link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe Barbara touched on it in her post (I haven't been there yet) but at times yellows can be very hard to find in quilting fabric. You know how things go in trends and waves. It's the same for color in fabric. We generally have more choices now than in the 1980's but sometimes it can still be hard to find what we want!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These twinkles are so cute, jazzed up nine patches in a way!
    Lovely idea too, to have them in each months colour selection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sister loves yellow, so I regularly hunt for new fabric, and I agree it's challenging to find "yellow."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your star blocks. I can't wait to see all of your rainbow star blocks together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never used yellow too much (although I did make some yellow and blue quilts) before the RSC Challenge but I do love the pop it adds to the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Twinklers are such a fun name for these blocks! They look great with the mix of scrap fabrics. I love yellow and have a big stack of yellow fabrics but now you say it I think you're right that it's not used as much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those yellow/brown color combos. Very warm and calming.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog