Saturday, 21 March 2015

More yellow.

This week is week 3 of the yellows in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and I have thoroughly enjoyed playing with the yellow scrap bin.

Firstly I found time to make up 10 little Bow Tie Blocks.

 
Remember the stack of strips I showed you the other day here?  I have already told you in that post that I started a project using the blue/green/purple stacks, but I was itching to make some more yellow goodies, so I decided to make a cover for my tiny laptop using some of the yellow strips.  I use this laptop when I am out of the house so that my "real" laptop with its precious, vulnerable data is not lost or stolen.  I thought it would be good for the baby laptop to have its own cover. 
 
I used a fabulous tutorial by Amber at One Shabby Chick.  Thank you Amber!  Great tutorial.
 
I began by pulling a stack of those yellow 2.5" strips and cutting them to about 6" in length.  At this stage, I didn't really know where I was going with them.
 
 
Once they were sewn together, I decided to add a strip of linen on either side of the yellows.  And then I FMQ'd sort of straight lines on either side of the pieced yellow strip. 

 
I didn't think that was enough quilting when it was done, so I FMQ'd some little daisies and leaves through the middle of the yellows.  My favourite "go-to" pattern for FMQ.

 
And here it is.  All done.

Front

Back
And occupied
I'm really happy with the way this turned out.  Now I am planning to do one for my tablet. 

Now for a surprise.  I regularly get visits and comments from my lovely bloggy friends to encourage me on my quilting journey.  A week or so ago I decided that the next time I had over 15 comments I would do a little surprise give away as a thank you.  That happened last Saturday, when 17 lovely people took the time to leave me a nice comment. 

Out came Mr Random from his mothballs, and after much whirring and thundering decided that comment No. 1 was the winner.  And that was Marly, who blogs here.  I was dead pleased to have drawn that.  Not only does it show that No. 1 does win occasionally, but Marly always leaves me a comment, and is so generous with her praise and nice words. Thank you Marly for being a lovely bloggy friend since I met you. 

Please click on the link and give her a cyber hug from me (and leave her a comment too :0 ). 

Linking up with the other creative quilters at SoScrappy for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely bow ties. Such nice range in the colours. Great little laptop cover. Love the daisy in the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dasha; I'm blushing! You have always helped me with machine issues and so on, for which I'm really grateful too.
    That is a great laptop pouch you have made: such a simple design but both beautiful and useful. I shall copy it for my tablet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful bowties. Congrats to the winner of your draw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dasha! Love your yellow projects and I really like the laptop cover... simple but very pretty! Congratulations to Marly! What a nice idea to have a surprise giveaway!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific cover - and the yellows are SO cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I love your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great laptop case! I also made Amber's pattern for my laptop and iPad - but mine are just plain toile, no patchwork. You've inspired me to make a patchwork one for my work laptop - it's small enough to carry in a tote bag, but I feel it needs more protection. Yay - a new yellow project for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely yellow blocks, Dasha--my week got away from me, also...time is flying it seems
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a generous spirit. And my what lovely yellow bow ties you have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All those yellows are lovely. You've done a lovely job on your pouch. Congratulations to Marly. I'll go visit her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to Marly! I just love your tablet bag. Such a great project and so cheerful. The bowties are very cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw that tutorial, but haven't made the cover. Congrats! for being the type to go ahead and get it DONE!!! It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great yellow sewing there Dasha... & well done Marly; I'll pop over for a look at her blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice yellows! greta job on the lapop case too!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new laptop sleeve turned out beautifully. So cheery in yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your yellow blocks and your small laptop cover!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well that tiny laptop cover is just gorgeous, thanks for sharing the link. Nice Bow-ties too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just LOVE these colors! You do such a good job of putting colors together into creative, interesting blends. I am so challenged in that department! And here I am, Late Nelly as ever, missing the giveaway :) Ah well! Congrats to your winner!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog