Saturday, 28 March 2015

Last of the Yellows & Morning Visitors

Yesterday I sneaked in a half hour of sewing time and put together my Crossroads block for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
 
 
I can't remember if I have told you where I found the tutorial.  It was on Connie's blog Free Motion by the River, and comes in 3 sizes.  I am making the large one which finishes at 12.5"
 
Then I thought I'd see what it looked like with the others.   Can't wait to see what it looks like with all the colours made.
 
 
For more yellow goodies, pop over to soscrappy and check out what others have done.
 
Friday evening, I went out to cut some parsley for the Bolognese sauce I made.  And noticed, right beside the parsley, the Daffodil bulbs are starting to emerge.  When I looked around the bed, I saw that heaps of little green spears have popped up. 
 
 
This morning as I wandered into the kitchen for my breakfast, there was a commotion just outside the kitchen window.  This is what was going on..
 
 
These guys are Rainbow Lorikeets.  They are around all year, but they don't bother to come for a feed in summer.  We have a lot of birds, and several varieties of parrot.  Lorikeets are noisy, cheeky and will show off if you pay them attention.  They are a fun bird.  They always travel in pairs, and from my observations they seem to mate for life.  If you are interested, there is more information here, with a short video where you can see some of their antics and hear them as well.

No sewing today, but I did make some Strawberry Jam.  Here it is bottled and waiting for labels.


Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

19 comments:

  1. I like the Crossroads block. I'll have to look at the tutorial. Those birds are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that pattern to, but I haven't tried using it yet. A whole rainbow of crossroads will look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Lorikeets are so wonderful. What a refreshing shot of colour they would be in my winter/spring landscape. The Crossroad's block will be great when a year's worth comes together. Quilt on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your yellow crossroads are lovely; I have some of that bottom yellow floral bouquet fabric too. One of my favorites...nice work it'll be nice to see how it all comes together...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the crossroads pattern. Yours are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Crossroads blocks all together. The lorakeets look they'd be just about as noisy as our Canadian blue jays but our jays are more subtly coloured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many interesting things in your post, birds are beautiful. I really like your crossroads blocks, they are looking great together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do NOT understand. You are ending your summer and heading into autumn ... And you have daffodils coming up??? Don't they bloom in spring?
    Love your blocks, and those lorikeets are so colourful.... What a treat they would be to see in the backyard...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of Lorikeets...thanks for the education. Strawberry Jam...yummmm. Our strawberries don't come until end of May. Crossroads blocks...lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going along thinking, I have that fabric, and that one...then those birds! Ours seem to all be brown! Wowie! All that and jam too? I'm coming to your house to play lol!
    LEeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info on Lorikeets. Now that I know their name, I remember my neighbor once had a red one as a pet. The bird was very friendly and liked to play. Yum - strawberry jam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the creative activities you are busy with there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the link to the crossroads block. I've never heard of that one . And the birds! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the Crossroads blocks, too. I made a RSC baby quilt with them last year.
    I was not familiar with the little Rainbow Lorikeets. Followed the link and enjoyed several YouTube video clips of them. They are soooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those lorikeets are gorgeous! They truly are a rainbow unto themselves. I can guess how loud they are; I used to work in a pet shop where we had many varieties of parrots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How productive you are today! Summer helps us be that way, doesn't it? I know it does for me, on some summer days when I wake with energy and optimism :) The lorikeets are darling -- I wish I had a pair living in my yard!! I'm confused about your emerging daffodils. We have daffodils out now too -- just came out in the last month. So not emerging from the ground right now, but only about a month off. But I thought we were in opposite seasons? Does that make any sense??? We're in the early/middle spring. So you're in the early/middle autumn? And daffodils just coming out? I'm sure you will figure that out for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Dasha! Like your crossroads blocks and it was fun to see the sort of birds that you get in your garden! Incredible colours! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really like the effect of this block Dasha. I'm confused too about the daffs, some of mine have blossomed just this morning, little early miniature varieties. But there are other bulbs showing about 3"/4" of leaf growth too, a sure sign of hope for a summer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nature never fails to astonish me with its variety...and sense of humour. Interesting that the birds enjoy human attention! Your jam looks delicious. Do you deliver? Ha!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog