Sunday, 22 February 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching

amongst the panic and the chaos.  We leave early tomorrow for Queensland, but I am determined to have some quiet downtime in front of the TV tonight after dinner.

This last week or so I have done some dressmaking for my mother-in-law.  She is in her nineties and doesn't get out much any more.  Besides, she has always hated buying clothes because she reckons she is an "odd shape".  Aren't we all??  Any way that's what I do for her.  Its hard work though as she is in the UK and I am in Australia!  The plan is to take a few things with me in April when we go to visit.

So I started off making some light weight cotton trousers for her.  Not quite finished as I still have to complete the waistband and hem them.

 
I'm not happy with them.  What I was aiming for is a cute pair of harem pants like these ones of mine....

 
You know what I mean, elastic at the waist and ankle and a bit baggy.  Well she doesn't like dark clothes which is why I chose the grey, but the herringbone pattern on the fabric makes them look like convicts' pants.  Not much I can do about it now.  They are way too big for me, so will finish them and take them with me in April when we go to the UK.  I don't care if she never wears them.  At least I tried.
 
Perhaps I'll just go up to Rivers and buy her a pair like mine - they are dirt cheap at Rivers.
 
I am much happier with the skirt. 

 
It is the prettiest turquoise blue.  I know she will love that colour.  And that is what I will be doing tonight - hemming it.  Usually I do that using a blind hem stitch on my machine, but this skirt is cut on the bias, and that makes it difficult to machine hem because the fabric tends to gather and buckle a bit.  Much easier to manage by hand.

Linking up with Kathy at Kathy's Quilts today.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

13 comments:

  1. Your Mom will love the clothes you have made for her! I must say that hemming is not my favourite type of hand sewing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet of you to do all that hard work. I am sure your mother in law will be thrilled that you took the time to do something special for her. With age comes wisdom you know. Have a fun tip and enjoy your hemming stitches today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure your MIL will appreciate those clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, good for you. Not easy to make garments for someone else, especially when they are not nearby for fittings... I'm sure your MIL will appreciate your kindness...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hemming is a hard skill to master I think. Good luck with the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't you a poppet making clothes for your mother in law at long distance! Enjoy you trip to Queensland (squelch, squelch!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful that you are making clothes for your mother in law. The skirt is a lovely colour...and yes I think we all are odd shapes, which is what makes life interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky MIL to have such a great DIL. Hope you have a wonderful visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure she will like her new skirt and pants. She might just wear them around the house but its the thought that counts. Hope the weather improves for your trip to Queensland - dont want you to get washed away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so nice of you to sew for her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think those pants will look great when your MIL is wearing them. The skirt is such a lovely colour. Homemade clothes is such a lovely gift for her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a pretty skirt. Looks comfy and easy. And I really like the pants too, although I know you can see their limitations first hand. It's hard to sew for someone else, but I bet she appreciates your desire to be kind :) So happy you're going to England! Just think how much CLOSER you are to me, when you're in England - hahaha! That's silly :) Still an ocean apart. I also love to sit and relax on the couch after dinner and do handwork. It's something I look forward to every day.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog