Saturday, 14 February 2015

Playing with Pink

If you are here for the Grow Your Blog Party, my post for that is here.

The colour of the month for February is Pink in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year.  So yesterday I dug out my pink scraps for a play. 

Now you would be forgiven for thinking that my pink scrap bins are overflowing.  I do have 3 grand daughters after all.  But actually, there's not very much at all. 

I did however, find enough pretty pinks to make up a Crossroads block. 

 
Those squares look pale blue, but they are in fact white.  The block is so easy to make up and will come together quickly because its a 12.5" one.
 
Next up was the big Twinkler Star block.  I found a bunch of dusky pink scraps for that. 

 
See that square in the bottom row middle?  It had been pinked on every edge.  I loathe sewing with pinked edges, as they are so hard to sew!!  What do you line up to when you are sewing the seam?  The peaks or the valleys?  Normally I cut anything with a pinked edge down to a straight edge, but I hadn't done that with this square, or the other half dozen of his mates.  I don't think this one has ended up square.
 
Linking this post up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at soscrappy.

Tl next time.....Keep on stitching

16 comments:

  1. Argh, pinked edges! Nice Twinkler Star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They tell me to line up the peaks for accurate piecing. Seems all the little 2.5" charm packs are cut with pinked seams to avoid fraying and I've been drawn to those little packs lately. There's not enough time to work on something big so I've been making a few more mini or wall hanging size quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dasha! Love your blocks! I always have difficulty matching up the pinked charms too! No-one will notice! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty blocks. Though I have a daughter she doesn't favor pink, so I don't have much of it in my scrap bins either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really liking your Crossroads block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only reason I have pink scraps is because of granddaughters! I don't have many pinked charms but when I've sewn things like clothing in the past and pinked the edges I lined up the peaks. Aren't those Twinklers fun?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of pre-cuts, but hate the pinked edges. I really like your Crossroads block. That's one I will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I avoid pinked edges too. Bet you can make that block behave when you set it into a quilt though. I know the Crossroads block as Patience Corner- or at least they are very similar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do dislike pinked edges, when I can't trim them off I try to line up a different edge if possible. Love the crossroads too, such a great scrap buster block.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, pink is not a colour that I have lots of. You did well to make your blocks, they both look great. Its so nice to see the variations each month in the different colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, I wouldn't have noticed that square if you hadn't mentioned it. But they both look very good. Pink is a good color for Valentine's month, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good blocks. Love those pink prints. I'm with you. I don't like pinked edges either.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog