Saturday, 21 February 2015

Another Pink Post

February is the month for playing with pink scraps if you are participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

During the week, I went through my box of pink scraps and pulled a bunch of 3" squares.  Now if you have followed me for a while, you will know that periodically I cut my scraps into squares & strips so that I always have piles of precut scraps.  I was determined to only use the precuts for this project.  I got together every pink 3" square I could find where I had two of the same colour.

That's where my resolve fell over though, because I had a hard time finding 2 x 2" squares of the same fabrics to make up my bow tie blocks.  I matched as best I could, and here is what I came up with:

 
I took my little baggie of prepped squares to Friday Quilters yesterday and got going on this.
 
I had a love affair with my unpicker....

 
(only showing you one of the bloopers.  LOL)
 
And by the end of the morning I had them almost done.  I finished them off this morning.

 
16 little bow ties.   I have only repeated one fabric - the two in the top left.  I am happy. 
 
During the week I began cutting pink scraps for a quilt for my friend's brand new baby, Elena, who was born on Thursday.  I am planning a quilt using Road to Tennessee blocks.  Not much done of that to show you.
 
Linking up at soscrappy.  Why not go take a look at what the others have done this week for the RSC.
 
This morning I walked down the street to the house at the end.  The old boy died in December, and his wife has been moved into a nursing home.  The house is sold and there was a garage sale going on there.  Even though I barely knew them I felt so sad.  The stuff was not wonderful, most of it was old without being fabulous, but it belonged to them and it was their treasured possessions.  I picked up a pretty little fine china mug, and a small antique occasional table - both for $5.  That made me even sadder.  Am I a romantic?
 
We leave on Monday for a week on the Gold Coast (Queensland).  We are playing in a Bridge Congress there, so no holiday, and no sewing, although I have packed a hand sewing project.  We shall see how much I get done of that.  The weather forecast is grim for the next few days at least - a category 5 cyclone hit the coast of Queensland yesterday not far from the Gold Coast and there has been torrential rain.  Planning to pack my plastic mac as well as the umbrella!

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

21 comments:

  1. Oh Dasha don't fret! Your blocks are beautiful. I love to see bloopers. It makes me feel normal because I can produce a few of my own in no time lol. Enjoy your week away and when you get back home, there will be a special package in the mail waiting for you. I've finally put it in the mail yesterday. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bow ties! Finding just the right sizes in just the right colors can be a chore, but it still beats starting from scratch with the cutting each time. Beautiful progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pink bow ties, Dasha! The last time I tried making them I just couldn't orient the blocks either! I ended up only doing one at a time--couldn't sew by section with these. Yours are lovely...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of pretty pinks in those blocks. Enjoy your trip, hopefully the rain won't put to much of a dampening on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very pretty blocks there Dasha... you're very organised in the cutting of your little pieces, makes it so much easier when you want to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice blocks, they look like they're holding hands lol! I like how the white gives the illusion of a circle

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, no - it doesn't mean that you are a sad romantic . . . it means you notice and value things and people. An elderly gent down the street from us passed a few months ago (his wife passed last year) and the distant family held a weekend estate sale a couple of weeks ago. Everything in the house was for sale including underwear from the bureau drawers and her fancy party dresses, shoes, and handbags . . . the prices were too high so not much was finding new homes (THAT was sad). The whole house is decorated in mauve and blue - it was high style in the day but now it is dated and in need of freshening. We suspect the house will sit for a while until the right new owner appears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great bowties. Although I do think with your first blooper you might have a brand new pattern. I do the same with my scraps, cut them into squares and strips. So much easier to go and quilt if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And don't forget your wellies! The aftermath of the cyclone looked pretty wet underfoot too! You made a good job of matching the fabric for your whimsical bow ties - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those bowties. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the pink bow ties are perfect. I think we've all had a few days where our best friend was that little seam ripper. Enjoy the bridge tournament. Hope you find time for a little hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I'm not the only blooper! Love the bow ties. Good luck at bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have always loved those bowties and your are great. I send out a hug to you and your romantic soul on the observations you have posted. In the end all that we treasure could just be 'stuff' also. Best of luck at your competition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We all make bloopers =). Love the final bow ties. Very sad about the estate sale but glad a few things found a home and will be remembered with their former owners when you see them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely bow ties and so easy with these to get the triangles in the wrong place, done that myself before now! Pleased you were able to pick up two little pieces in the garage sale, it is sad when you see someone's possessions all set out for sale and what is wrong with being a romantic sad or not!
    Have a great time at the Bridge Congress and hope the weather holds off for you - been watching the news over here on the awful happenings in Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done! Bowties are so classy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds to me as if you should maybe pack lashing rope and tarpaulin!
    So do you play bridge for serious fun or maybe your financial winnings pay for your fabric purchases?!
    It is a sad comment when you see peoples homes laid out and sold like that garage sale. All that's left of lives, laid out bare like that.
    I frequently see old photos at the car boot and wonder who these folk were, they'd have had dreams, hopes and expectations like us after all.
    And why have their family just discarded entire photo albums and not burnt them out of some degree of respect at least.
    Good luck with the weather and t he cards : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooh, so many beautiful pinks here. I love those blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for showing your blooper. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who sews three, unpicks two.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Dasha! Love these bow ties and the pinks are fabulous! Have a great week! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I see those bowties! I had to squint to understand where they were :) Very pretty -- I love the pattern and the variety of color. I hope your trip goes well and you don't get too soggy. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog