Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Remembrance Day 2014

Today is 11 November and therefore Remembrance Day.  I would like to share some photos with you.

 
Lt. Commander Jack ("Pancho") Brandt, MBE, DFC. Commissioned RAF (Acting Pilot Officer) 1937. Awarded DFC 1942 for action in Burma. Evaded capture in occupied France after being shot down 1944. Between 1937-67 flew 61 different types of aircraft from open cockpits to supersonic and helicopters. Died Sussex 1999.
 
My father's younger brother and identical twin of Sidney Brandt.
It was an honour to have known Jack.

 
Flt Lt Sidney Brandt. Served in the 249 Squadron RAF during WWII. Shot down over Malta 29 Dec 1941, aged 25.
 
My father's younger brother, and twin brother of Jack.

Long gone, but not forgotten.
 
 
William Roy Young. Member of the Australian Coronation Cadet Contingent to the Coronation of King George V. Enlisted in the AIF as a Gunner. Wounded Ypres, Belgium, and died aged 21 on 17 October 1917.  Buried The Huts Cemetery, Dickebusch, Belgium.
 
My dearly beloved's great-uncle.  Known to all as Uncle Bill.

Lest We Forget.
 
Our family is no exception.  Many, many families in many countries lost their husbands, sons, brothers.  We were lucky - my Uncle Jack returned.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post, thank you for sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog