Thursday, 20 November 2014

Biscornu

A biscornu (bee-ss-corn-uh) is a small, 8-sided, stuffed ornamental pincushion, usually made out of Aida cloth or linen. Embroidery or cross-stitch is used to decorate the top and bottom, and beads or tassels are often used to embellish it.
 
I discovered them in a blog post on line about a year ago.  Can't remember where of course.  Then my friend Jan showed us how to make one back mid-year at Buttons, the craft group that meets in my church on Wednesday mornings.  This is what I made.  Sorry, can't tell you the thread used as I borrowed the spool from Jan.  It is a gorgeous iridescent blue rayon machine embroidery thread.
 
Top

Base & sides

I am now officially hooked.  I have always enjoyed embroidery, and this is so dainty and pretty.  Since the first biscornu, I have made 2 more, one of which I can't show you as it is secret sewing and I know that the friend who is getting it reads my blog sometimes.

This one is a free pattern from Rainburst Embroidery.  The pattern has two designs in the one document, and this is the first of them.  I chose not to put a bead in the top of this one.  Embroidery on even weave linen using a variegated machine embroidery thread - Wonderfil Accent 12wt ACM-36

 
This one caused me some grief.  The linen I used was very soft and draped, so there was no body to it.  I found it hard to work with, and it would have been better had I used a hoop, but as the fabric was an off cut of a previous cross stitch, it wasn't large enough to put in my hoop. The thread I used was perhaps not the perfect option either, even though it is an absolutely gorgeous thread.  Being variegated, the lighter yellows don't show up well on the grey fabric.  Oh well, lesson learnt.
 
This is the second pattern from Rainburst Embroidery, and is the one on which I am currently working.  It is on cream even weave (again an off cut) and I have used a DMC rayon embroidery floss No. 30501.  I have completed the top.

 
And need to finish the back.  I am planning a simplified version of the design used on the top, and will only be doing the corner motifs. 

 
I plan to do some beading on the top only, and put a bead in the centre of this biscornu.  I will post a photo of the finished biscornu when its done.
 
I have been buried up to my nose in accounts for over a week.  I so hate that!  Serve me right for procrastinating til it becomes an insurmountable task.  All done now, off to the accountant this afternoon. 

I also wanted to give a shout out to my lovely email followers.  Thank you for your support!!!  I rarely if ever get a comment from you, and so I never get to have a chat.  Every so often someone says to me "I saw that on your blog".  I heard that comment just a few days ago.  Got any idea what a kick that gives me to know that you take the time to read my ramblings??  So thank you.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dasha wow i love these pin cushions ,its on my bucket list to make one one day,thankyou for showing us yours.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your blue biscornu. Ive seen kits to make them at shows and am sure you've mentioned them on here before.
    I suspect it is the kind of thing you make and then have to make more of lol the shape is lovely, the way its not rounded off until its all stitched together!
    And it just proves you were right not to discard those offcuts of linen lol !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Dasha, haven't talked to you in a while! Nice pincushions, so detalied. I love your baby blue blocks. Subtle but still see the pattern. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello LeeAnna!!
      Nice to talk to you again. I can't reply to you as you are a No Reply Blogger.
      I have really enjoyed making those little biscornu. Wouldn't dare to put a pin in one though. LOL Too pretty. I have almost finished the little green one showed half done, and I think this is the best yet. I put little green beads all over it, and love it. Still have to stuff it and close up the hole. I actually love doing small intricate things and don't do much of that. Most of my sewing is for charity, so simple, big, and use what is there. This is a complete contrast and I am loving it. Will show of the latest biscornu when it is done.
      Thanks for popping in,
      Dasha

      Delete
  4. Oh, Dasha! Those are gorgeous! I love the thread on the first one -- how it stands out so strong against the background. And the gold/yellow of the next one is lovely too. Keep us posted on that 3rd one, how it turns out! Now I'm interested in these too :) So pretty! Can you tell us why it's called a biscornu? What language is that? What does it mean?

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog