Sunday, 12 October 2014

Cousins Part 2

While the cousins were here, I took them to the Reptile Park at Somersby, about 1/2 hour's drive from our place.  Although it is called the Reptile Park, there is heaps to see, not just the creepies.

Just inside the entrance are the reptiles.  All of them were behind glass, so my photos aren't the best.

Green Tree Snake (a more lime green in real life)

 
Parentie.  Looks terribly prehistoric to me.

 
The next display was the spiders.  I'll spare you those photos as it was too dark to take them.  If you are there at the right time, you can watch the keepers milking the venomous spiders for their venom.  It is then shipped to be transformed to anti-venom.  The centre is a major collector of venom.
 
Outside, near the picnic area there is an area in which people and animals wander freely.  This is a small kangaroo.  They are very tame, and you can buy a packet of special 'roo food at the entrance (we didn't).  The kids enjoyed being up close & personal. 

 
Brolga.

 
Rock Wallaby - endangered in many areas.

 
Then we headed to the crocodile feeding display.  The keeper taunted the croc until he stood up for his chicken.

 
Just look at those teeth!  The way the snapped when the croc took the food was awesome.  It would easy bite you in half I should think.

 
An Echidna.  You see these sometimes on the side of the road when you are out in the bush.  I rather like them.  They sort of look vulnerable to me, despite the spines on their backs.  They primarily eat ants and other bugs.

 
This is a Tawny Frogmouth Owl.  He was quietly sitting on one of the lower rungs of a fence within one of the aviaries.  Public on one side, birds on the other.  He was quite happy for me to come up and take his photo.  This has not been zoomed - I am about a metre from him. Tawny Frogmouths are fairly common in urban areas.

 
Then we went to see the koalas being fed.  Quite a few in the enclosure, quietly sleeping, until the keeper came along trundling a barrow of leaves.  All without fail woke up and started moving towards the food.  All the females seemed to have babies.  Can you see this one peeking over mum's right shoulder?  When mum started scampering towards the food, the baby wriggled around onto her back and hung on for grim death.

 
Tucking into the tender, juicy end bits.

 
This is a wombat.  Remember me telling you that I found scats and a burrow here?  Well this is what lives in those burrows.  You see them by the roadside out west as well, often as road kill sadly, as they are very slow movers.

 
Anyway, this one was very friendly and wanted to come over to say hello.

 
So lucky to have the Reptile Park so close by.  Doesn't matter how many times I go, I find it interesting.
 
The following morning was the last day of their stay.  We took them off to Avoca Beach to briefly show off our beautiful coastline, before taking them to the station.  It was an absolutely glorious day.
 
 
And the kids did what kids do when mixed with sand and surf.

 
Beat the waves this time, but still managed to get themselves wet to the waist.  LOL

 
Hope you have enjoyed the cousins' stay as much as I did. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dasha what a wonderful you all had ,Thankyou for sharing.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos of, for us, exotic animals. Looks like a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a great time with family...............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our native animal are just so wonderful aren't they. I'm glad you didn't show the spiders, I would have run away, the koala with her baby is much cuter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking us along! I love seeing the animals special to your country -- so fun!!! Glad the weather cooperated for the visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reptile Park is a treasure trove of interesting critters! I so enjoy places that facilitate a comfortable mix of animals and people (when the animals are as well cared for as these obviously are). I couldn't imagine a more fascinating, yet repulsive, job than milking venomous creatures. Ugh. And yet...interesting. Mostly Ugh. lol!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog