Saturday, 12 July 2014

Sydney Quilt Show

On Friday I joined some of my friends from Friday Quilters on a trip to the Sydney Quilt Show.  No photos. :-(  I am very cognizant of the fact that I (unknowingly) broke the rules last year and published a pile of photos from the Show, so this year I don't intend to do that.

A very early start - 6.15 at the bus stop!  Since I retired, I don't usually see anything but the back of my eyelids at that hour. LOL  In the end, only Fiona & I were on the train we had agreed to catch.  The others made their own way down.  It was a glorious day and there were free shuttle buses from Central Station, so the trip was easy.

The Show is temporarily at Glebe Island (old industrial area) in the Exhibition Hall there.  It was a good venue - very airy and light.  Having said that, I was a bit disappointed because there seemed to be a lot less traders there than usually go.  I love the trading area, because living out of the Metropolitan area, there isn't much variety to choose from, so I go to the show largely to visit the traders. 

Nevertheless, I found a few goodies. 

 
A very cute pattern for a peg apron.  A bundle of blades at a very good price. and some ironware for lanyards.
 
I am planning to make up the apron for myself to use at Stitching Hearts.  When I go there, I am usually cutting backings and wadding, and am forever searching for the tape measure, the rotary cutter or the pen and paper to make calculations.  I have been thinking I need an apron with a big pocket for ages.
 
I am also planning to make some lanyards and have been looking for the bottom bits, so these will be great.
 
I also found some lovely Civil War goodies for my stash.

 
And I bought some Bloc Loc rulers.  I saw them demoed, and can't wait to have a play.  I bought the one for HSTs and one for the Strip Set.  I also wanted the one for the Flying Geese, but thought I should save my wallet for now!
 
I saw a few people I hadn't seen in years floating around, and also caught up with Chooky from chookyblue.  We had a great half hour amongst all the gorgeous quilts.  So nice to meet a bloggy friend!

 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day even with less traders to inspire and take your money...
    Fancy running into Chooky...she certainly gets around.
    Enjoy your weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you had a good time Dasha and how awesome you got to meet our lovely chooky,a wonderful ending to a wonderful day.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to meet a bloggy friend at a quilt show -- by accident! Perhaps that's one of the advantages of living in Australia, where you can run into people a bit easier? Can't imagine that happening here. Thanks for sharing about the show. Please do keep us well apprised of your apron-making. I'm wondering if something like that would be useful for knitters/crocheters. I'm constantly carrying around a little bag with many pockets in which I keep ALL the tools I may need while I knit/crochet. But since I sit and knit, I don't know if an apron would be best, but I'm going to ruminate on that one. Sounds handy. Glad you had fun!!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog