Thursday, 3 July 2014

Meet Pink Fizz

Back a long while ago, I picked up a bunch of scraps which seemed to be the ends of 6.5" strips which had been cross cut into squares.  They were all sorts of width, and after getting them home I sorted them into colour ways. 
 
The two bundles which had the most pieces were the blues and the pinks.  I made up a quilt in the blues, ages ago, and sadly don't have a pic of that to show you.
 
Then I decided to do something with the pinks.  I pieced them into long strips side by side, then trimmed them down to make up 6.5" squares.  I needed 25 to make up what I wanted to do, but there weren't enough blocks, and no fabric left over.  If I had thought about it earlier, I could have added a few scraps of pink to augment what was there, but I didn't.  So these blocks went back into my cupboard until further notice.
 
 
A few times over the next 18 months or so I dragged them out and decided I could do sashing and borders to make it larger, but the pinks are actually a funny colour.  Not baby pink, not salmon shade, not candy pink, and I couldn't come up with anything that "went".  So each time they just migrated back into their lonely corner. 
 
On Monday afternoon I had a brilliant brain wave.  White!  So I cut a few pieces of sashing to see what that would look like.
 
 
Yep.  That's it.  Why didn't I think of that before???
 
I set the blocks rail fence fashion and put in some corner stones.  On Wednesday afternoon I finished it up to here.

 
I have found a very pretty green stripe which will be the first border, and some pieces of what looks like off cuts of pink backing for the second border.  I will review it after that to see what needs to go on next, but it might be large enough then for a cot quilt.
 
Our DVD player died this week.  Since it was terminal, the Dearly Beloved decided to see if he could fix it.  Have you ever wondered what is in the guts of a DVD?  Well this is what.
 
 
It isn't worth sending it to the doctor, so if the DB fixes it we are in front, if not, off to the shops we go.
 
We also got a call last night to tell us that the DB won a major prize in the Charity Day raffle held at the Bridge Club yesterday.  Apparently it is a hamper of food, plus a $100 voucher for one of the top restaurants in our area.  Woo Hoo!  Night out here we come!
 
Lastly, remember those blocks I made for Aussie Heroes last month?  They have reached their destination and are displayed on tonight's post here with a whole pile of others.  Some fun quilts will be made with those.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

5 comments:

  1. Pink Fizz is such a fun name for that pretty pink top!! Congrats on the voucher win, what a great prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you've done with the pink squares xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the pink prettiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pink Fizz is lovely! Too bad you don't have more pinks. I thought you might be interested in this...http://lifesewcrafty.blogspot.ca/2014/07/for-pinks-sakes-blog-hop-july-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time stopping by here, and I just have to comment on Pink Fizz - it is just beeyooteeful!! Your name for it makes me think of a strawberry ice-cream soda, which makes the design even more homey and old-fashioned and cute.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog