Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Lets Book It Progress for July

As its the end of July, its time to show you my progress on my current Lets Book It challenge project.  The idea is that you make a project from one of the dusty books or magazines on your bookshelf.

 
I started this project back in May from a pattern in an old magazine, and I blogged about it here.  My version is completely different to the original.  The project stalled for a while because I was doing applique on the corner triangles.  I finally finished the applique about a week ago.    Here is what it looks like at the moment.
 
 
Don't tell anyone, but I ran out of the yellow I was using for the flowers.  The bad news was that I had not written down the brand or the number of the shade, so I couldn't replace it.  I had to just choose something that sorta matched to do the large flower on the fourth corner.   The corners aren't close together so I shouldn't think anyone will notice.
 
The corner pieces still need to be sewn on, and I will need at least one border on this, but I finally feel like there's been some progress on this, and that I can get on with completing the project.  I am really happy with how it is turning out.
 
I will link this post up at Sharon's blog, Vrooman's Quilts.  Do go over and take a look at what other goodies are on display.
 
Today I went to Buttons, the craft group which meets at my local church.  My friend Jan was the presenter today, and she was teaching us to make Biscornu.  The definition I found on the web was "A biscornu is a small, 8-sided, stuffed ornamental pincushion".  They are just so pretty! 
 
Jan had about a dozen samples and this is the one which I am attempting to do.  No photo as all I have done so far is the outer stabilising row of stitching.



I was trawling the net some months back and found a blog post with a bunch of photos of Biscornu (what is the plural of that I wonder??).  I thought they were fabulous, and also figured that this would be right up Jan's alley, so I sent her the link.  About 3 days later she came to Friday Quilters with one completed, and hasn't stopped since.  LOL. 

So love this little one.  Hope that mine turns out half as nice.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

3 comments:

  1. It must be a real close match as I can't see it. I have always wanted to try a Biscornu - they are not native to the US, so would make a nice gift item.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now why did you tell us that? I can't see it either! I love variety and variation so this proves that it works. Great job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you hadn't said anything about the yellows not matching, I would never have known. It is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog