Thursday, 19 June 2014

A Bit of Progress & a Milestone

The first bit of sewing I have managed this week was yesterday afternoon, and I made good use of my time by making some progress on two projects.

The first was block 3 in Barbara Brackman's Threads of Memory sampler QAL.  This is the New Garden Star.

 
The colour in the background fabric looks blue in this shot, but it is actually a milky coffee & very pretty.  One block down, two more to go to catch up.  I am just loving working with these fabrics.
 
There were two options - use templates or foundation piece the star points.  I chose to foundation piece this.  That is always a good option when you have tricky piecing and especially where there are lots of points.  I found it a bit tricky lining up the stripes which I had fussy cut from the fabric, and had a couple of goes at one or two of them.  The fabric kept shifting, and I ended up with the stripes going haywire.  They are still not perfect, but I am not unpicking them again.
 
The next thing I chose to work on was the project for the Lets Book it challenge Sharon is running at Vrooman's Quilts.   My project this time is from an old magazine, and I  last told you about it here.  When I last talked about it, I was bumbling along, trying to work up the courage to cut the triangles to go on the sides for the centre medallion to turn it on point.  Thanks you to everyone who offered advice.

Yesterday I bit the bullet and cut those triangles.  Then I prepped up one of them for the applique I want to do.  Last night I started the stitching.

 
There is going to be a yellow flower in the centre section - just ran out of time last night to fix it on.

 
I was using the lightbox my lovely son-in-law made for me a year or two back.  It makes tracing the pattern onto the fabric so easy.

And the milestone??  Well tonight sometime, the pageview count on my little corner of blog land is going to tick over to 10,000.  It is currently sitting on 9,999.  Astonishing eh?  All you guys and gals who get loads of visits have probably forgotten how exciting that milestone was.

Today was Stitching Hearts day, and I drove down to Sydney.  (see the logo on the right hand sidebar??  I put that on this evening).   I will be writing up a post for that in the next day or so. 

And tomorrow afternoon we pick up the new car.  Wooo Hooo!!

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

4 comments:

  1. wow such lovely work Dasha,love the blocks and i can remember excitement plus at getting my first 1000 page views,lol,congrats my friend.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo - I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS on your new, beautiful car! That is such an exciting thing, and you should enjoy that lovely vehicle while it is still new and fresh and perfect! No repairs for a LONG time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely projects / I need to learn foundation paper piecing one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your applique is so pretty! You'll have your new car by now, I bet you've had fun driving around in it!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog