Thursday, 29 May 2014

Lets Book It - Progress in May

Have you been over to the Blogger's Quilt Festival yet?  I have entered Summer Evening in a Garden Maze in the applique section.  I would love it if you could pop over and give me your vote here

Its the time of the month that we hook up for the Lets Book It Challenge run by Sharon at Vrooman's Quilts


This month, you might remember, I pulled on old magazine out to make this:


My baggy containing pre-cut 4" squares was overflowing obscenely so I wanted to use up some of the green 4" squares. 
 
I got as far as this, without really making a dent on the 4" squares:

 
And this is where I got stuck.  Reason?  The original pattern called for 4.5" squares for the centre medallion, and I had used 4" squares.  Therefore the medallion was not the right size for the cutting instructions for the triangles to turn the medallion on point.  Now I have talked about my nil ability in the maths arena, so it got put into the "too hard" basket.
 
Looks like I will need to buckle down and finish this project next month.
 
Now my lovely blogger friends.  How do you work out the size of the triangle required when you put something on point? 
 
My usual method is to draw a square the size of the centre block and then draft the triangle.  Then measure all the results.  But this is way too big to do that, and I don't want to cut a square for the triangles something like 20", only to find that the thing is 1/2" short!
 
Any tips would be appreciated!!
 
I can also reveal some secret sewing I did quite a while ago.  Both recipients have their gift, so here it is:
 
 
Two little crochet hook holders.  The one on the right I gave to my daughter as a present for her anniversary.  The second on I posted off to my bloggy friend M.K. Her poor hubby had a fairly bad bike accident and she was feeling stressed & upset.  I thought she might like something to cheer her up.
 
Linking this up to Lets Book It.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching
 
 

4 comments:

  1. You might find this helpful - http://quiltville.com/onpointmath.shtml
    Don't give up the ship as you have a nice piece going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a smart phone you might be able to get the app "Quilt Calc" from Robert Kaufman. I have an iPhone and found it in iTunes store. Just Google search for Quilt Calc. It really takes the headaches out of a lot of quilt maths, including square in a square.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another option (if you don't mind a little machine applique) would be to just applique the pieced center square you have onto a piece of background fabric big enough to accomodate it, then cut the background to the finished size square center that the pattern says it should be at that point (and make sure you leave a 1/4" seam allowance at the points beyond the on-point center) . To reduce bulk, trim away the background behind the pieced center also leaving at least a 1/4" allowance.

    It sounds a bit involved but is is much easier done than explained!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would stop me cold too, I can never figure out the math parts especially with triangles. I think I've used the place Sharon recommended and it helped. I love both of the little gifts, the fabric is so happy.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog