Saturday, 31 May 2014

Green Beans Please

Green is the colour of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and today is the last day of May.  The last few months I have been colour co-ordinating my sewing with the colour of the month.

A few months ago, I told you here about a bundle of goodies sent me by
Jackie who blogs at One Creative Cat.  Thank you Jackie!!

I have been using the stack of 6" blocks she sent bit by bit.  Last month I made Purple People Eater.  This month I am using green 6" squares, and to that end, I have appliqued a bunch of purple flowers in the evenings while watching TV.  Yeah, I know.  Purple flowers aren't green, but bear with me.

  
When I laid it all out initially I used the green blocks randomly, but then I noticed that there were a lot of checks and plaids.  Almost enough to use only those in the quilt.  So I cut a few extra 6" blocks and here it is - Green Beans Please in the making.
 
 
I have also started to create a design with the blue blocks sent to me by Jackie, and have prepped red flowers for the red blocks.  I will show the reds when we get to the red month for the RSC, you'll see the blues as they progress.
 
A couple of days ago, I finished off the Road to Oklahoma blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

 
I quite like this look - with the dark blocks fading out to the light ones. 
 
I am not being very random with selecting the fabrics for my blocks any more. I'm finding that I prefer to sew all the light pieces with the lights and all the brights with the brights etc.  I think it will give the overall quilt a better look with a variety of shaded blocks in the quilt, and the illusion of more colours.  Never having made a rainbow quilt before, that's what I am thinking now.  Might change my mind later. 
 
I have also decided to join in the Santa Sack swap again this year.  It was great fun last year.  You'll see the little graphic on the side bar at the right.
 
Meanwhile, I am linking this post up here with the rest of the gals doing the RSC.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching

14 comments:

  1. Love your Green Beans Please quilt (love that name too!). Very cool Road to Oklahoma blocks. I like the color fade too. I've got a rainbow quilt in progress where I'm working a fade from top to bottom of the quilt, it can be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty green bean quilt. I love the purple flower blocks. I will have to look for a flower I can appliqué because that would be a great block to take with me when I have some time to do some hand work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fun: green beans always please! The road to Oklahoma layout is really nice too. I agree the idea of light and shade adds an extra dimension.
    Did you find the Quilt Calc app?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute flowers but the Road to Oklahoma is stunning. Love the fading of the colors, you did a great job with that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, you have put that "care package" from Jackie to GREAT use! So fun - Happy Saturday! Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fading of the colors is great. They will look wonderful all together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fading creates lovely flow and movement from block to block. What a great start to your Green Beans Please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green beans, please...love it and the name. I do like how you faded dark to light and that block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dark greens fading to light are so effective. It really gives your blocks dimension and movement. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Green Beans Please makes me smile. It looks like a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the daisy quilt i just like the one Kate worked on this weekend.............

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous arrangement of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's adorable -- the green and purple look well together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a neat patterns. Love both, especially Road to Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog