Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Purple People Eater....

is finished.

 
I didn't have enough of any single fabric to use on the final border, so I made up the border from scraps cut 3.5" by whatever length worked.  So the bricks are anywhere from 5" to 8.5" in length.  It really, really needs a solid or tone on tone purple binding to finish it, which I don't have of course.  Hopefully I will pick something suitable up tomorrow.
 
It will be going to Cabarita with me tomorrow for its backing, wadding and pinning when I go to Stitching Hearts (woo hoo!  Haven't been in a month of Sundays). 
 
Last time I posted about this quilt, Marly, who blogs here, left a comment asking why I had picked that name.  The short answer is I have no idea!  I was doing the pressing after the gold border, and the name just surfaced in my mind. 
 
There was actually a song called "One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple People Eater" released in 1958, by Sheb Wooley, and then in 1988 there was a film of the same name.  I think I must have heard the song around the time of the film release, because I would not have been listening to music when the song was released.  Anyway, after Marly's question, I Googled to see if I could find anything about that song, and came up with a video clip on You Tube here.  Catchy tune + fun words + fun quilt = good name. 
 
How do you come up with names for quilts?
 
This morning I presented a workshop at the craft group in my church.  I got them all to make 2 cards.
 
 
The design was the same - I couldn't cope with 2 different designs LOL!  The other card was in greens, and I did not make it as I was running around helping those who needed it most.
 
They all seemed to enjoy themselves, and the noise level was deafening.  And I am exhausted!  I must have done something right as I have been asked to do Christmas cards towards the end of the year. 

 
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching

2 comments:

  1. Oh Wow! I love scrap quilts, it is amazing to make something so beautiful out of little bits of mixed up fabrics! That is gorgeous, and I love the name!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice quilt...........looks like a fun group............thanks for visiting my blog...............

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog