Saturday, 5 April 2014

Not a Lot to Show You

I have been pretty busy this week, and not much time for sewing.  What I have done, I can't show you because I have been busy making gifts and they haven't made it to their respective recipients yet.

What did happen this morning was that my Summer Evening in a Garden Maze came home from the long arm quilter.  The quilting is awesome!!  Here again I have been thwarted.  I had good intentions of taking some photos to show you what it looks like, but this it what happened:

 
Yep.  Two minutes in the door and Madam discovered it.  Well two minutes is a bit of an exaggeration actually.  I sewed the binding on, then sat down to start stitching it on, (in that chair you can see) and that is when Tibby discovered what I was doing.  It is now too dark to take any decent photos.  So you will have to wait until the next post when I have had a chance to take some photos in daylight.
 
The other thing I have started on are some appliqued flowers on a white background, like this....


Back a couple of months ago, Jackie, who blogs here, posted me a parcel of bits and pieces.  I told you about that parcel here.  Anyway, amongst the things in the box was an enormous pile of 6" squares.  The other day I sorted through them and put them into colour groups.  By far the biggest were the purples, and the next biggest was the blues, so I thought I should do something with them.  I was inspired by a pattern I saw in a magazine Jan showed me.  Mind you my idea bears very little relationship to the pattern!  I am planning to use the purple squares (and if they look gross, the blue ones) and alternate them with the appliqued flowers.  The fabric in these flowers is rather evil, and I am listening to Bonnie Hunter's voice saying "If the fabric is still ugly, you haven't cut it small enough".  I do hope that these flowers are small enough!  We shall see.  Whatever, the applique is something to keep my hands busy in the evenings, and it will use the evil fabrics.  The result will be a lap size quilt for Stitching Hearts.

This afternoon we had a little jaunt to the Conservatorium to listen to Miss 8 perform on the flute in a mini concert.  They do one of these each term to get the kids used to facing an audience, and it was really lovely.  She has only been learning the flute since the start of the school year in January, so I thought she did pretty well.  The last performer was a young fellow playing the saxophone, and he did a great job.  Good to see the kids getting involved in music, and enjoying it too.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching

5 comments:

  1. The flowers will be fine. If you don't like them later you can always give them appliqué centres to break up the yellow. You can't really judge now without the alternate squares, I should think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have been busy and so has Tibby,enjoy your sunday Dasha.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. She knows a comfy place to curl up when she sees one, Mama! I think music is good for our young ones and, hopefully, in view of today's pressures on youth it might help keep them on the straight and narrow. Our youngest grandson plays drums in band and loves it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad it came home, and that you are pleased. My, Tibby grew quite a bit ... I just read your other post about how you acquired her, and her she is, a large cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, too funny, yes I know some of the fabrics was a little off...but sometimes a quilt just needs that one little pop of ugly! hahaha!! I am sure what you come up with will be stunning!! No worries here!! Can't wait to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog