Sunday, 23 March 2014

Slow Stitching Sunday

Today being Sunday, it is the linkup to Slow Stitching Sunday at Kathy's Quilts.  So here is what I will be doing tonight.

A few days ago, I pulled out an exceedingly old project.  Back in something like the mid 1990s, one of the ladies in the sewing group I used to go to back then brought in a bunch of granny squares she had begun & never finished. (Thanks Maggie.  Where are you these days?)

 
There were 14 of them, and they were just the first 3 rounds you can see in the photo above.
 
I had them for a long time before I got around to doing much with them, and then I had to set them aside still unfinished because I found that I couldn't crochet any more because my hands hurt too much.  This is what they look like now.
 

I have all 14 built up to the black round on the outer perimeter; 2 sets of 4 are crocheted together into a larger square as above, and the rest are loose. 

I am planning to make 2 more new ones to bring the total number to 16 so that I can set it 4 x 4.  This is going to be fun, as I actually don't know how to start something like this off.  I did some trawling today and found a tutorial on how to get going, so shall have to rely on that.  None of the original wool of course, so I will have to scratch around to find something that works.  Once these extra 2 are made and its all crocheted together, I will take stock and see if I need to make it much bigger.

I am hoping my hands hold out.  If not I will do it in dribs and drabs.  But it is time this project was finished.

Wish me luck!

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

9 comments:

  1. Granny squares are very popular. It will be rewarding as you put them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty colors!! :) And yes wishing you luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be lovely when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see granny squares are popular no matter if you crochet or quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful project to work on today... very colourful and lots of energy!
    Isn't the WWW wonderful for learning new things?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness, Dasha. Have you brought me down memory lane. I made at least 5 of those granny square afghans back in high school (1970s!). I can't crochet anymore because I get tendonitis in my elbow - well, I suppose if I limited myself to 20 minutes a day I'd be fine but I don't work that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a multi talented lady !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are so pretty. I think that will be my next crochet project. I have never made one but thank goodness for youtube videos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very clever Cheryll has told me what a clever lady you are,have a lovely day Dasha.xx

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog