Saturday, 29 March 2014

Lets Book It February/March

Earlier this year I decided to join in with Sharon's "Lets Book It" challenge.

 
The idea is that you select a book from your shelf and make something from it.  Doable I thought.  My February project has become my March project, and will end up the April project LOL.  NOT do-able this time at all!
 
I showed you my plans here.  And just to refresh your memory, this is what I am making.
 
 
I am using a bunch of 3" green squares for the 16-patches.  They are all made, and I have put together some of the sashing strips with the star points.
 
This morning I thought I should lay out the bits which I have already constructed to see where I am at, and what still needs to be done.  Here it is as it currently stands.
 
 
As you can see, there are still a few sashing pieces which need to be constructed, and none of it is stitched together, so there's a ways to go yet.  The colours in the photo don't do this quilt top justice.  The yellow is a real jewel colour, and the greens are not as drab as they appear here. 
 
Working with the yellow fabric reminded me of one of the ladies I used to sew with about 10 years ago, an ex-pat American lady called Kay.  We were making a charity quilt as a group, and she stood there one day and said "You know that quilt needs some yellow".  The following week she arrived with a huge chunk of this fabric - meters and meters of it.  So we did use a bit, but then all of a sudden she left Australia to go back home, and left her fabric behind.  I have used it on several occasions in quilts for Stitching Hearts, at least once for backing.  Getting to the end of it now.  Thank you Kay, wherever you are.  You were very generous with that fabric, and I do appreciate it!
 
So to finish off, here is a close up of the top.
 
 
This afternoon I am making rod pockets, labels and carry bags for my quilt which I will be exhibiting at the Central Coast Quilt Show.  Miss 8 has entered her rainbow quilt as well, so I am making them for her as well.  Oh!  And there's binding to make for mine as well.
 
Linking this up to the Lets Book It party here.  Do take the time to go visit a few of the talented ladies.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching

9 comments:

  1. It's always nice to have a project to work on...so take the pressure off... And work on it when you get the chance xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty with the yellow star cornerstones. As far as piecing goes you're on the home stretch now. You're busy today with all those extra bits for the show. Good luck in the show to you and Miss 8.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are coming along very nicely with your project - and if it takes you a few more months, that is fine, enjoy the journey with it. Good luck with your show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun design? Simple but with a sprinkle of stars to sparkle it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this pattern! Great job.Best of luck in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved that pattern! Great job.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to look beautiful when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is going to be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is progressing steadily. I love the stars in the corners.
    valspierssews

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog