Thursday, 20 March 2014

"Fancy That"

In the absence of much sewing being done this week, I thought I would fill you in on a quilt I made in 2012, and called "Fancy That".

In January I participated in the Grow Your Blog link up.  If you haven't had a chance to go take a look, it is a fun thing to do and still open to visits.  For that I had to put together a post about myself, which you can find here if you haven't seen it before and are interested.  I put together a bunch of photos to show a bit about my life, and one of those was this one....

 
My little fur baby, Tibby, on a quilt I was quilting.  I had a couple of people ask me about this quilt, so today I thought I would tell you about it.  Unfortunately, not many photos as it was pre blogging days (*grin).
 
Some time in early December or so in 2012, I wandered into a new shop which had opened in Narara, not far from me, called Frankenstien's Fabrics.  It has since closed and is now just an on-line business.  Wandering around, I found the odd bods shelf, which had a stock of precut pieces in odd sizes at a very reasonable price, and I picked up a swatch of fabrics maybe 6-8 pieces, all co-ordinated.  Surprisingly, they were way out of my normal colour range, but they looked pretty good together, so I snaffled them. 

I got them home and pondered a while.  Ratting through my stash, I found a few more odd bits - some from a quilt I made for my baby grand daughter about 3 years before, some I had used in a baby quilt about 10 years ago.  And then I came across a pattern in the Get Creative magazine put out by Spotlight.  If you are interested, you can still find the pattern here.  The pattern was absolutely spot on perfect for the fabrics I had.  Now who should I make it for??

I decided to make the quilt for my cousin's daughter, Miss N, who is aged between my two eldest grand daughters and is a great mate of both.

I used my Tri Rex rulers, which don't come out very often and pieced the blocks in no time at all (no photos of WIP, sorry).

And then it was to the quilting:


I don't usually take my big machine to Friday Quilters - its too big and heavy, but I really wanted to quilt that quilt, minus Tibby!

Close up of one of the blocks....

 
You can see the piecing in that, and also the quilting design.  I was really happy with that quilting.  I used a stencil I'd had for years to draw on the design, and it seemed to work out well.
 
And the detail on the back....

 
I had the backing in stash.  A while earlier I had gone to a warehouse sale, and picked up about 10 meters of this fabric for peanuts, so I was pleased to use some of it.
 
The blocks were sashed with white and outlined with a stitch in the ditch..

 
And here it is in all it's glory.  Photo taken out in the garden.

 
The quilt was actually completed in Dec 2012, but I did not give it to Miss N until her birthday.  She has a brother, and I just did not want to give it at Christmas and not have one for him.  I actually have his, ready and waiting to be quilted, so hopefully I will have it done for his birthday this year.
 
It was unnamed for ages, and at the last minute I decided on "Fancy That".  It was apt because fancy me buying that fabric in the first place - way out of comfort zone for me, but it all worked out in the end.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching

Edited to add a link to: I Quilt Thursday, at Pretty Bobbins

5 comments:

  1. Your quilt is lovely and the name is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful, fresh colours. I think it's really pretty and i'm glad you went out of your comfort colours for this one! Thanks so much for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful quilt, and the patchwork isn't really hard is it, once you have mastered the Tri-Recs? I think your quilting is brilliant; I wish I could produce such beautiful even curves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilting motif, fits so perfectly. What a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so VERY beautiful -- I love the stitching so evident on the back.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog