Sunday, 23 March 2014

Catching Up on Teal

Despite still not being well enough to do much, I managed to snatch little bits of time here and there at my machine, and earlier this week I put together the two Jacob's Ladder blocks I am doing for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
 
 
 
These two blocks have scraps from several different projects.  See that pink/turquoise floral top left hand corner?  That and two of it's mates, a little self stripe with the floral and turquoise and a pink spot on turquoise went into a trio of dresses for my 3 grand daughters one Christmas about 3 or 4 years ago.  The dresses co-ordinated, but were not the same, and I know I have a photo somewhere of the three of them in the dresses dancing, with hair flying.  Can I put my hands on that photo when I need it?  Of course not!  If I find it soon, I'll post it for you.  I know I have used some of the scraps from "Fancy That" in the teal blocks I have already made, and also from the much earlier baby quilt.

 
 
Yesterday afternoon, I put together 2 of the 8 "Road to Oklahoma" blocks I need.  Laid out this way, I was struck by how similar they are to the "Jacobs Ladder" blocks in the previous photo.  When there are only two blocks, you don't get that fabulous star shaped secondary design going on in the corners.

I am so loving the structure of a colour a month!  Thank you Angela for organising this challenge.

I also wanted to share what my lovely friend Jan has made me.  It is called a Biscornu (anyone French out there who can pronounce that??) and there is a long story involved.

Back in January I joined the Grow Your Blog link - I have talked about that a few times, and the link is on the right hand bar.  One of the 200 or so blogs I visited, had some photos of these on it.  I'm sorry, but I didn't take a note of who it was :-(  Anyway, to cut a long story short I Googled for photos, then suggested Jan do the same, as this is so utterly up her alley.  And I was right.  She was very excited to tell me that she had a book on her mail order catalogue which described them.

The rest is history......


 
Gorgeous embroidery, with single thread DMC, in leafy green, with tiny gold bead embelishments and one of the outer lines of threads used is a variegated green/blue/gold thread which shimmers and shines as you move the Biscornu and it catches the light.  Absolutely stunning.  Thank you Jan.

 
They are meant to be pin cushions, but I can't see myself sticking pins into this lovely thing, can you?
 
Linking up a bit late with the RSC link at Soscrappy today.  Lots of links there already - go take a look at some of the other creative things made.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.


6 comments:

  1. Your Jacob's ladder blocks are pretty; doesn't teal combined with white look clean and fresh, like a morning in Spring? Your friend has made a really beautiful biscornu for you. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blocks. I love looking back at the scraps and knowing what I made before with the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of pretty teals in your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you are feeling unwell... but you did get quite a bit done anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of that pincushion -- something almost antique about it. Your friend Jan put some real love and care into it. I looked up "biscornu" and the French means "skewed, quirky, or irregular," perhaps referring to its shape. Very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blocks and pin cushion.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog