Saturday, 15 February 2014

Saturday Night In

I am so excited!  I have nearly completed my hand pieced quilt.  Not showing you the photos until it is done. 

Now I would like some help here.  The design began in a class with Karen Cunningham, and her name for the quilt is "English Autumn", by I have modified the design quite significantly, so I can't call it that.  My mind has been pondering what to call it.  Got any ideas?  Please leave a comment with your suggestions.  If you follow by email, you can always email me by clicking on the link in my profile. 

Here is a photo of the quilt a week or so back.  It now has a border of stars around it, echoing the centre medallion.

 
The last time I was at Stitching Hearts, we had a huge donation of stretchy fabrics.  (Have you taken a squiz at the Stitching Hearts blog?)  Our local Hobby Sew shop runs a monthly meeting where the ladies put together bandannas for cancer patients, so I took the stretchy fabric to them during the week.  They are always looking for donations. 
 
While I was at Hobby Sew I found this:

 
It is a tiny, rechargeable, bendy LED light, which, when folded up is about the size of 3 stacked up mobile phones.  It has 3 levels of brightness, and is super light - great for travelling.  So that had to come home with me.  No fabrics.  Wasn't I a good girl?
 
Yesterday, I put together the last of the blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for this month.  I will be leaving on Saturday and will be away for the whole for the last week of February, so I needed to get these done sooner rather than later. 
 
Here is the Road to Tennessee: 

 
And the Jacob's Ladder which I pieced at Friday Quilters. 

 
Fiona kindly pointed out that the 4-patches are supposed to have two dark, two light squares, and that the dark ones are supposed to follow up the ladder.  (Thanks Fiona!)  Well I didn't think of that did I?  Certainly didn't achieve it with the blue blocks, so I made an effort to set the pink ones in the right way.  Oh well.  My "Modified Jacob's Ladder" blocks will have to do, I am not unpicking them all. 
 
Also during the week, I started on the first of the blocks for the NewFO and Lets Book it challenges for this month.  I blogged about that in this post.  Here is what I have achieved so far.  64 x 3" blocks used.  Tick.


Why not go on over and take a look at what others are making for the RSC14?

But for now, back to the sewing machine to finish that quilt!

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

18 comments:

  1. Your not "English Autumn" is beautiful. I'm hopeless with names, so I'm no help there.

    Very pretty pink scrap blocks, love both of your scrappy projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RtT blocks look good.
    If that's not a real Jacob's ladder why don't you call it Dasha's ladder? You may have designed a new block.
    I'm sorry, I don't have any good suggestions for renaming English Autumn; all I can think of is "starry night in the garden" and that's a bit on the long side.
    That's a super little light; what a find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the blocks. How about Autumn Garden for the quilt, that's the best I can come up with without coffee this morning xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pink blocks are bright and cheery. All your blocks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great collection of pinks you have. You should end up with two lovely projects. What about "Garden Stars"? That could refer to the stars on the green background or the blooms in the border.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No name comes to mind, but what a gorgeous quilt. I also love those Road to Tn blocks. I am quilting a jacobs ladder right now and boy your fabric choices really make this look so different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the 'Garden Stars' from Nell's comment. Your blocks are all looking great. Love the idea to name it Dasha's Ladders....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really did well with the shopping ;) Love all your blocks! I'm not much good with quilt names but one that has popped into my head which is probably rubbish is: Summer garden stars.... If it's not yet autumn it has to still be summer right? lol told you it would be rubbish. Looking forward to seeing your hand pieced project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Starry garden? It's always difficult to name a quilt! Love your pink fabrics and blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure I am being helpful with the garden quilt, but your colors remind me of Spring rather than Autumn. Love seeing all your pinks - fabrics AND blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hand pieced quilt is beautiful. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt. Beautiful RSC blocks. Cute LED light.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your "Stars in the Garden" quilt is beautiful. I'm really not any good at naming my own quilts, so I don't usually give suggestions for others. Both of your pink RSC blocks are looking really good. Looks like you are using up your stash in good style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stay night? The dark center makes me think different evening. Evening stars? Lovely Jacobs ladder variation. So much great pink.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous quilt no matter what you call it. I'm not good at naming quilts so I usually don't!
    Are you sure that's the Road to Tennessee? Whatever...good use of scraps.
    I have a collapsible Ott light I use all the time. I keep it next to my stitching place. It really helps to see when hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the look of that top quilt. Can't wait to see it finished. As for a name ... since it has stars, but also has blooms, how 'bout "Midnight Garden" or "Evening Garden" or something like that? I like the idea of flowers blooming under the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dasha, I was over at Sew and Sow Farm and Jan said to pick one of her followers and come over and say Hi so I chose you and came on over, took a look around and decided to start following.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog