Sunday, 5 January 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2014 Begun!

I got to today and started on my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks.  One of the hardest things was to actually make a decision on what I wanted to do.  There are so many fun blocks around and so much inspiration on the Net.  Some time ago I opened a Pinterest account (you can click on the link if you are interested) and have been pinning ideas to the boards for a while.  After much dithering I have finally made a decision and am planning to do 3 projects with this challenge.

1.  A 6.5" Road to Oklahoma Block.  I have used the tutorial at Amy's creative Side, which you will find here.

It was a great tutorial.  You could download it in .pdf format, which saved a lot of toing and froing to the computer.  It is also very accurate, and the blocks end up nicely at 6.5".

For the block you need 6 x 2" blue squares, 6 x 2" cream squares, 2 x 2.5" blue squares & 2 x 2.5" cream squares.  All the blue squares I had in baggies already pre-cut, but I had to find some fabrics to cut the cream ones.  No big deal.  I just used some pre-cut strips.  The original design had white where I have used cream, but as I have virtually no white fabrics, I thought I would use cream instead.

First there was one:


The block was pretty easy to put together except for my mistakes!  The first was that I merrily sewed almost all the 2" squares into 4-patches.  I hadn't read the instructions had I??  Fortunately I didn't do all of them, so I then had to figure out how to put the block together without having to do too much unpicking.

And then there were two:

 
Unfortunately by the time I got to block number 5, my attention had completely wavered, and I had sewn pretty much all of it together before I realised that I had sewn not one, but several pieces in the wrong order, so out came the unpicker.  Again!
 
For this block I didn't press all the seams as I sewed them, which is what I usually do.  I found that it was important which way the seam went so it was easier to simply finger press as I was sewing the pieces together and iron the block when it was completed.  Definitely not a block where you could press always to the dark fabric. 
 
And before too long there were 6:

 
I love this setting which gives you a secondary design of a star in the middle. 
The setting I trialled first was with stretched stars as the secondary design (see the second photo).  I had only ever intended to make 6 of these blocks, but I have decided to make 2 more because I think it will look more balanced with two full stars. I have prepped and bagged up the pieces for the extra blocks to be sewn as I get the time.
 
I really like this, so a huge Thank You to Amy for her generous tutorial.
 
2.  The second project will be one large scrappy block in each colour in the RSC using 20 x 3" squares.  If you've been reading my blog for a while, you will remember that I got given a humongous bag of scraps a couple of months ago.  I blogged about it here.  Over the weeks I have slowly been taming that bag of scraps, but there is still a long way to go, and I have a truly enormous pile of pre cut 3" squares. 
 
My inspiration for that block was a quilt I found on Flickr made by Red Pepper Quilts.  There is no tutorial (does one really need one for this block?), so I am just playing this one by ear.
 
I have prepped a block of blues ready to do as leaders and enders over the next couple of weeks.
 
3.  Project three will be one large Road to Tennessee block in each colour.  I found the tutorial for this block written by Sarah at Sew Me.  This uses 16 x 3.5" (blue) squares and 32 x 2" white squares.
 
I had a huge stack of the 3.5" squares already cut in the cupboard.  But they were all jumbled together in a big bag.  I decided that since I am doing the scrap challenge and would need quantities of the other colours through the year, I would sort them into colour and store them that way.  Here is my stash: 

 
You can immediately see that I will have trouble when it comes time to do the orange month.  That is my miserable orange pile second from the right in the front row.  Orange is not a colour I use at all.  I should be right for pretty much all the other colours though.  The big pile on the top right is mostly florals, stripes, novelties and other indeterminate colours.  Will have to think of something to do with them down the track.
 
I pulled the 16 dark blue squares from the blue pile, and would you believe that I had difficulty finding 16 different ones in this pile?


I wanted the darker ones for this block because I know that there will be baby blues and teals needed later in the year.  It was tough finding them.  The 16 squares I pulled did nothing to dent the pile.

I really scratched to find white squares - only a handful of those, so I had to cut into some fat quarters I had in the drawer.  There won't be much variety in that lot.  White is a colour I rarely use as well.  Oh well, if have to I will see if I can find some more fat quarters over the year.

I am linking up with the challenge over at soscrappy.  Have you looked at what the others are doing?

Til next time.....Keep on stitching

10 comments:

  1. What a great star pattern created when the blocks come together. Thanks for including the link to the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great ideas for blocks to work on throughout the year. I really like the Oklahoma block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some lovely projects lined up for this year's RSC. Your first set of blocks are fabulous and I too love how this pattern creates a secondary design in it. Thank you for including all the links. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lot of great projects you have going. I saw that Tennessee block on Quilter's Cache and copied it off thinking it might be a great use of scraps. And thanks for pointing out that Road to Oklahoma tutorial. I love the blocks you have so far. Next blocks should go a bit easier I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scraps!
    This is my third year with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. First year was the most difficult as it made me realize that my stash didn't include some colors. It was mainly blue fabrics. I started buying and making quilts using all the colors of the rainbow as well as black white and gray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really liking that Road to Oklahoma block! l can't wait to see how it will look when all the colors are combined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some great choices for the color project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great projects starts. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - Look at you go. YOu have a great plan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This will be a great scrap quilt. Good on you

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog