Friday, 3 January 2014

Last Finish for 2013

It has been a bit chaotic for the last few days.  I had intended to write this post on New Year's Day, but I had a call early in the morning from a cousin who asked if she and her hubby could come visit for a couple of days. 

"No sweat", I said "when?". 
"Ummm." she replied "in about half an hour"....

So then it was a mad scamper to get the room ready etc.  Anyone who has had visitors will know just what was going on in the 30 minutes before they turned up.  We had a lovely time and did heaps together; but now peace reigns in the household again and I have time to write this.

In the dying hours of 2013 I completed the blue strippy quilt I blogged about here.  This is it:

 
I sewed like fury quite late into the evening to get it done so that I could claim it as a 2013 finish, and I am quite pleased with the way it has turned out.  This is the single size quilt, and I still have to complete the identical lap size one.  Not too shabby don't you agree?  If you are interested, I am planning to prepare a tute on how to make the blocks, so keep an eye out for my post.  No foundation piecing, no papers to tear off and super fast to put together.  It also uses heaps of scrappy strips, which should deplete your scrap bin somewhat. 
 
During the week, Miss 7 turned up to pin the quilt she started in April and has been making this year.  I have challenged her to have it ready for the central Coast Quilt show which will be around April of this year (Note to self:  make sure I find out when the entry date is).  
 
First off we had to piece the backing which I had cut for her previously.

 
Her little legs are too short to reach the pedal, so I have to put it up on a box when she comes to sew.  Can't resist taking a photo of her when she sews - such concentration.
 
My daughter came over a bit after this and gave us a hand to pin the quilt.  Here it is all ready to be quilted:
 
 
Isn't it pretty?
 
Big sister Holly has been collecting cat fabric for a while now, but has lacked inspiration, so she came over last Monday.  We sat down together with graph paper and pencils and I showed her how to draft up a block and how to plan a layout.  I then showed her how to use the rotary cutter and she cut the pieces for two of the blocks before her Mum turned up to take her home.  She picked it up in a twinkle and was really tickled to have got it on its way.
 
It is such a buzz to teach my girls!

Next Sunday is the anniversary of my first ever blog post.  So I thought I would do a give-away.  Make sure you come by and take a look next week.

I have linked this up with the Fresh Sewing Day linky party at Lily's Quilts.  Heaps of inspiration there if you would like to go take a look.

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely to see the young'uns getting into quilting :-)
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of Miss 7 is awesome! Concentration at its best! How wonderful for you to teach the next generation about this wonderful art :) Thanks for visiting and posting on my blog! Here's to a beautiful quilty 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your rainbow quilt!! Off to explore some more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet little rainbow quilt, congratulations on the blue finish!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog