Sunday, 26 January 2014

Australia Day

Today is Australia Day here.  We celebrate the day the First Fleet arrived in our beautiful country, in what was then known as Port Jackson, on 26 January 1788.  Today Sydney is a thriving metropolis, and a wonderful place to visit. 

I won't bore you with a history lesson.  If I have piqued your interest, Wikipedia has an entry here.  What it means is that we have a public holiday tomorrow.

I have been busy this morning visiting a few blogs for the Grow Your Blog Party, and replying to all the lovely people who have stopped by and left me messages.  Thank you!  Thank you also to the people who are new followers of my blog.  you are appreciated.

Yesterday (which is today in US time) was the last Saturday of the month, and that means a linky party going on which Angela runs at soscrappy - the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I thought I would tell you what I have made this month for that.

First up I made 8 x 6" x 6" Road to Oklahoma blocks.  I first talked about them here.  Love that block!  Love the secondary pattern of stars.

 
Then I made one block which has finished at 12.5" - it used 25 x 3" squares.  Good one!  I showed it to the world in this post.
 
 
And last of all I made a bunch of 16 x Road to Tennessee blocks like this
 
 
which, when sewn together make up a 12.5" square.

 
I made these from a tutorial here, which Sarah of SewMe has put together.  Thank you Sarah!  Such an easy block, and looks great.
 
Now I am thinking, its only the 26th, so there might still be time for me to put some more blocks together before the end of the month.   Ummm.  What shall I do?  Make some more blocks, or go back to the UFO's I have been working on?  Decisions, decisions, decisions!  What do you reckon?
 
Have you seen the Rainbow Scrap Challenge before?  It is such an easy, happy, challenge.  Angela picks the colour each month (January was blue). You don't have to sign up, there is no obligation.  You make as many blocks as you wish, and hopefully there will be sufficient blocks at the end of the year for a rainbow quilt.  In my case I am aiming for 3 quilts, which will ultimately find their way to my charity group, Stitching Hearts (link on sidebar at right). 
 
Why not head over at take a look at the RSC14.  And I have to go add my link, and look at what the others have made.
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Australia Day! I checked out the wikipedia entry earlier before I saw your link (I am such a geek). What a wonderful collection of blues! The road to Tennessee block might just have to find its way into my own collection of sampler blocks. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dasha. I followed your blog from Grow Your Blog. I have just started mine (linsquilts.blogspot,com) and you are way more advanced than I am. Tell me please how you learned so much? What do I need to do?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dasha - your blogs look great - am waiting now to see the finished item!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are all fabulous! May have to try out the roads to Oklahoma and Tennessee myself :) Great way to use up 3" squares too. I think I'll have to start cutting up some of that size too from my scraps. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how many "roads to" blocks there are. I love yours, and have resolved I have to try the road to Tennessee soon. Enjoy your free day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful blocks and scrappy is always so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your blue blocks Dasha!!! Especially those Oklahoma blocks - yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely quilts :D It's great to meet another australian blogger :D

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog