Saturday, 23 November 2013

The Browns Mark II

If you have read my previous posts you will know that I have had great fun with my 3" brown squares for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this month.  The top is finished.  I took it down yesterday to Cabarita, and the girls pinned it for me, so it is back with me for quilting.  Not quite sure when it will be done as things are now hotting up for Christmas.  So glad we don't have Halloween and Thanksgiving here as well!

So the scraps have gone from this....

 
To this.....

 
To this.....

 
To this.....  All pinned, ready to quilt
 
 
 
I have had an enormous amount of fun with these 3" squares - no two squares are the same!  Here are some cute red and blue birds:
 

Autumn leaves and animal prints:
 
 
A Halloween print, with just a bit of pumpkin peeking in there

 
Aboriginal prints, autumn leaves and bricks

 
And finally, Japanese fish print and Noah's Ark animals.  That's by no means all there is, but I don't want to bore you.  Aren't they fun?

 
Our garden has been a bit boring for the last few weeks.  After the first flush of Spring flowers, all we had was foliage, albeit some pretty foliage.  This past week or so there have been copious quantities of rain, and it seems as if all the summer flowering shrubs have decided to flower.  Here is the very first Gardenia.  It is right outside my workroom, so when the door is open the heavenly scent wafts in.

 
We also have a lot of Hydrangea bushes, most of them white or light blue.  I spent some time through winter pruning and feeding them, and the rewards are a gazillion buds, just starting to bloom.

 
Amongst them though are a couple of Lacecaps.  Aren't they pretty?  The outer ring of flowers is white, and then the inner circle is quite dark blue once it is fully open.

 
The Agapanthas are just beginning to flower as well.  Ours are blue, with some white ones too.  The name means "love flower" in Greek!  I love them.  They are such tall elegant flowers.  I don't generally cut flowers, as I like them to live to their full life span in the garden for all the passers by to enjoy.  I just hate the thought that they die for my own selfish pleasure in a vase.

 
For some reason this little Plover has decided to take up residence in and around our garden.  They are water birds really, but he doesn't seem to want to be down on the waterfront.  He doesn't have a mate, and walks his lonely days on the road in front of our house, or on the grass verges on each side.  Just as well we live in a quiet street - here he is in the middle of the road having a little doze.  Not long after I took this photo, our neighbour drove in, and slowed right up until Mr Plover moved on.  Good to know we have such nice considerate people around (*grin)

 
And here is my current pride and joy - a brand new kettle which arrived yesterday.  So shiny, you can see my reflection as I take a photo of it! 

 
The colour of the kettle is a match for the tiles on the splashback we have had put into our new kitchen.
 
 
Yesterday my beautiful daughter dropped in after school drop off.  She brought a Gluten Free Christmas Cake for me.  It is an absolutely scrummy, yummy, groggy bunch of goodness.  I am blessed.
 
I am planning to link this post up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at Soscrappy.  And the Show off Saturday linky at SewCanShe.  And also at Kim's Big Quilting Adventure.  Why not pop over and check out some of the other blogs linked up?
 
Til next time.....Keep on stitching

6 comments:

  1. Your quilt is fantastic! Love the scrappyness of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great brown quilt, so many brown fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun collection of brown squares! So pretty in the finished top. I am in love with your tile backsplash! The kettle is a perfect accent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new kitchen looks beautiful and how nice will your new kettle look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your new kitchen. And your brown quilt! Great fabrics. Loved how you pulled it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute quilt. I love quilts that have a lot of fun scraps. You can't help but smile!

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog