Wednesday, 23 October 2013

A Morning Dedicated to Scraps

Remember me posting this??

 
I first blogged about it here.  Well on Monday morning my lovely friend Jan came over to spend the morning with me.
 
We ironed....
 
And we chopped....
 
And we stopped for a cuppa, some goodies & a chin wag.....
 
Then we ironed some more....
 
And we chopped some more....
 
And here is the result.....

 
Nice neat piles of squares and in all different sizes from 2" to 6" in half inch increments.  Can you see a tiny bit of my Tibby in the top left hand corner keeping a vigilant eye on proceedings?  The pile on the top right is orphan blocks.

 
Strips in 2", 2.5", 3" and 3.5" 

 
And this is the pile of 3" squares.  Most were pre-cut and straight out of the bag.  There were so many of them that I decided to sort them into piles in colour order.  The pile in the bottom left is all feature fabrics and there is enough in that pile alone to make a kids quilt.  This girl must have participated in a block swap, there were simply hundreds of them.
 
The interesting thing is that once you iron and chop the scraps the whole lot seems to take up an awful lot less room.  Nevertheless, I shall have to work out a better way of storing them, as it won't all fit in the storage options I have going at the moment.
 
Bonus is that we have dealt with an entire bag of scraps (the one on the far right in the first photo).  Plus!  Jan wanted some purple fabrics, so she took home the purple bag (the one second from the right in above photo), and promised to return the scraps all cut and pressed.  What a trooper!  So grateful to you Jan.

There have been some horrific fires in NSW over the last week, with dozens of fires across the state, some of them out of control.  The map at the Rural Fire Service (RFS) shows the extent of it.  There are 3 fires currently burning in the Blue Mountains just west of Sydney with the township of Springwood being worst hit - 193 homes destroyed already, and the current residents have been evacuated (again).  The worst fear is that all 3 of these fires will join up and become a mega fire burning through a fairly densely populated area.  The air quality is bad with the smoke quite thick in the air.  Interesting sunsets though.  Tibby refuses to go out - she can obviously smell the smoke in the air, and just comes in to hole up in my workroom. 

Til next time.....Keep on stitching.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Found your blog via Pretty Bobbins...your quilting is amazing! So, I just finished an exercise of taking my scraps thrown in buckets by color and cutting them into useful sizes (squares, strips, etc.). Absolutely agree, it does seem like a smaller pile...but I don't know what to do with these newly cut pieces! It doesn't seem right to put them back into the boxes by color. Start another sorting system by size AND color? Curious what you decided to do after all your work organizing scraps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just fabulous! I soooo need to do this with the ridiculous amount of scraps I have taking up bags of space….but just can't see it happening. I need a friend like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a wonderful problem to have! Looks like you made quite a dent in those huge piles of scraps.

    ReplyDelete

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog