This saga began about 8 or 9 years ago. A friend came to the patchwork classes I was giving because she wanted to make a quilt for her daughter, so I helped her put it together. She made, but had not quite finished, a beautiful quilt with Dresden Plates on it before she and her family moved to London.
Fast forward to about 3 months ago, and said family is now in Hong Kong. She emails me to ask me if I knew anyone who could quilt a quilt for her. Sure, I said. There is a lovely lady called Jenny at Coastal Quilting in Umina, who would be pleased to do it for her, and if she could get the quilt to me I would co-ordinate it.
So the quilt duly arrived, and I discovered that a) it was pinned, b) the backing fabric was not large enough to go on a long arm and c) it was partly quilted with perle cotton.
So the upshot of this is that I am going to continue quilting by hand with perle cotton in the design already there, and I am going to machine quilt in the places which have not been done by hand.
Here is what it looks like close up:
As usual, my photography leaves a lot to be desired and the colours in this lovely quilt have not reproduced. Maybe I should do a course in digital photography.
As you can see there is a row of quilting inside each blade of the Dresden Plates, and two rows around each plate. I am planning a design in the centre and in the empty green spaces which I will do by machine. Will also do something in the border by machine. It should work out OK as I have done something similar in the past. I have completed just over 1/3 of the Plates, and the double row of stitching around 3 of them. It is a slow process as my poor hands are really complaining.
Til next time...... Keep on stitching.