Sunday, 14 April 2013

T-4-2 Mug Rug

A little while ago, I was invited to participate in a "Creative Pay it Forward" by a Facebook friend.  The way it worked is that I could join the game if I posted the message on my timeline.  Here is the invitation:

"2013 Creative Pay It Forward: The first five people to comment on this status will receive from me, sometime in the next year, a gift - perhaps a book, or baked goods, or a candle, or something handmade - a surprise!! There will likely be no warning and it will happen whenever it strikes me. The catch? Those five people must make the same offer in their FB status!!"

I thought this would be a fun thing to do, so I posted my invitation on FB.  A few friends joined me when I posted my invitation, and then I had to come up with something creative for each of them.  Two were quite easy, as they are local, and I am planning to give them a jar of my special tomato chutney, which I have already made, together with the recipe.  Everyone who has tasted the chutney absolutely loves it, so I am hoping that these two friends will too.

However, two friends live overseas. I had to come up with something cheap to post and fun, so I decided to do a mug rug.  And so my T-4-2 Mug Rug idea was born.  I soon found some
pretty orangey red fabric from my stash, and a cute print with teapots on it.  Here is what I have made:



And in case you are interested, here are the instructions.

For each mug rug, you will need:

Scraps of background fabric - these can be 2 different co-ordinating fabrics
Scraps of pelon - fusible pelon would be easier to use, but I had some scraps of ordinary pelon which I wanted to use up.
Some sort of motif fussy cut from a feature fabric which fits in a 5" hexagonal shape.
Embroidery floss to tone with your background fabric.
Scraps of fusible webbing OR fabric glue are useful
5" hexagon shape template.  If you don't have one of these, and would like to draw a hexagon, there is a great tute here.  (The 5" is measured from side to side of the circle you begin with)

Fold your background fabric right sides together. Draw around the 5" hexagon template with a pencil on the reverse of your background.  This is your sewing line.



At this point I anchored the double thickness of fabric with a flat headed pin to keep it from slipping

Using a pencil & quilter's ruler, mark a line 1/4" from each edge of the hexagon shape (cutting line). 

Cut out the two layers of hexagon background on this outer line.

Cut a 5" hexagon from the pelon



Fussy cut your motif.  Don't you just love those teapots?  I actually have a small collection of teapots in various shapes & sizes, but nothing like htese ones!



If you are using fusible pelon, iron it onto the reverse of you background fabric, within the sewing lines. If you use plain pelon as I did, just pin it to the background.

Sew around the hexagon on 5 sides using a 1/4" seam.  Just kiss the pelon with the seam in one or two places if you are using plain pelon, to anchor it for easy turning.



Turn the hexagon right side out.  Use a pencil or an orange stick to shape the corners.  (An orange stick is a fine stick of wood which is used to push down your cuticles when you are having a manicure.  Works a treat to shape corners)

Poke the seam allowance inside the opening of the hexagon.

Topsew just inside the edge of the hexagon, on all 6 sides.  Finish off by burying the threads in between the layers of fabric.

Prepare your motif:

You can either use needle turn applique or fix it to the mug rug using buttonhole stitch.  This is the part of the mug rug which is going to get the most wear, so I recommend that you turn a small hem under even if you are planning to buttonhole the motif on.  This will give stability and protect it from fraying.  My motif is printed on the bias, so for me, turning a hem gave the edges some stability as well.

Either fix the motif to your hexagon with fabric glue, or use scraps of fusible webbing.



Either needleturn applique or buttonhole the motif to the background using embroidery floss of your choice.  If you have chosen to buttonhole stitch it on, I found that using an embroidery floss which matched the background fabric worked best.  Initially I had tried using a blue to match the blue in the motif, but I found that my stitches were too irregular on the reverse and that stood out like a sore thumb.  Much better when the stitching blended with the fabric.  LOL

Now that was easy, wasn't it? 

I am planning to put a little parcel together with the mug rug, a story of the history of Billy Tea in Australia and, as I can't make these o/s friends a cup of Billy Tea, a tea bag with which to make a cuppa for themselves.  The teapots in the motifs I have used is pretty fancy, and nothing like a Billy, but they will just have to make do.

Til next time........ Keep on stitching





No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog