Tuesday, 23 April 2013

School Holiday Sewing

Last Friday Miss 7 decided that she wanted to come to Friday Quilters with me to "sew a quilt for her bed".  We took along her sewing box ("the BEST birthday present, Baba"), with her stash in it, and got into some serious planning mode.  My lovely friends donated some extra bits (Thanks heaps lovely ladies) to augment her stash, and with her charm square pack, we were away.

Ruby's Moda "Good Morning" charm pack 
So by Friday midday, all the fabrics were cut out, laid out in 4-patches, and Ruby had sewn 5 of the 4-patches together. I left the pack with her over the week end, thinking that one or two more might be done before next Friday.  Well Sunday night Michelle phoned to ask if she could come by the next day so that I could cut the sashing for Ruby, as she had finished sewing all the 4-patches.  Fabulous!

Monday morning they all came over, and we all worked on the layout on my "design wall" - a flannel back plastic tablecloth which I find works a treat.  You can roll it all up and take it with you to a quilt day, or simply for use it for storage until you can get to sew again.


Big sister Holly helping lay out the blocks

All in the act - Ruby & Mum laying out the blocks, Holly supervising & Laura watching on

 
Morning tea, and the younger girls decided playing cards was better value, but I could see that Holly was itching to get behind the sewing machine.  Not a good idea to sew Ruby's quilt, so I dug out a pack of blocks I had precut some time ago as a charity quilt for Stitching Hearts, and set Holly to work on that.
 
 


So I cut sashing for Ruby's quilt, Holly sewed, and Michelle made a label for her quilt.  Tibby supervised proceedings from my chair.  Holly, bless her, put together almost all the blocks for a lap quilt, so now all I need to do is sew them all together. 
 

 
 


Here is a selection of them.  The blocks came about in the first place, because I found a bundle of 6" squares in the charity cupboard.  6" squares are actually quite hard to deal with as there isn't much you can do with them.  Its a difficult size for being alternate blocks to pieced blocks, and you can't make HSTs from them, as the resulting block ends up a weird size.  So this is what I came up with.  The sashing on them is a pile of 2 1/2" strips from my precut strips bag cut to fit.  So win, win.  Squares are used, and so are a bunch of strips, and a charity quilt to boot.
 
Update on Ruby's quilt tonight is that over half the sashing pieces are now sewn on!  What determination from a 7 year old.  Way to go Ruby!
 
I have suggested that she enter it in the local quilt show next year.
 
Til next time...... keep on stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love a comment, so please feel free to leave one. Unless you are a no-reply blogger, I will answer all comments left on my blog